Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stop apologizing! >

Stop apologizing!

Stop apologizing!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM

Jan I like your idea. Maybe we should all keep a little box by our computers or sewing machines and when we start to put ourselves down for something we've done, even just thinking about it, then we need to put a nickel or quarter in the box and empty it at the end of the year and see if we have enough money to buy something for our quilting hobby.
When I was teaching school, I always told my students to never be afraid to ask a question because that was the way they learned about something they didn't know. Also that just because some seemed to know didn't mean everyone else did, and there would always be those who pretended to know or acted like they did, because they were afraid they would be laughed at or something for asking. There would always be others in the class that would want to know the answer to the same question. My rule in class was always WE DON'T EVER laugh at someone asking a question. We only laugh at something funny and asking a question for knowledge and information isn't something funny.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I've just noticed that a lot of posters have been apologizing lately for asking such "simple" or "stupid" quilting questions. There's no such thing! Many of us are new, and even those who have been quilting for decades may have questions when trying a new technique or expanding his or her skills. Don't worry about it, just ask! No one is "stupid" because of his or her questions. I know that I've learned tons from reading other people's questions that I didn't even know to ask myself.

So what about it, let's stop putting ourselves down!
Thoroughly agree - it is the best way to learn.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 PM

I've just noticed that a lot of posters have been apologizing lately for asking such "simple" or "stupid" quilting questions. There's no such thing! Many of us are new, and even those who have been quilting for decades may have questions when trying a new technique or expanding his or her skills. Don't worry about it, just ask! No one is "stupid" because of his or her questions. I know that I've learned tons from reading other people's questions that I didn't even know to ask myself.

Good point, a lifetime ago a friend once said to me, "never put yourself down, there are always plenty of people quite willing to do that for you". Anyway, asking questions is a smart thing to do, how else do you learn?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 PM

my thinking entirely .It drives me mad when I dont understand the abbreivations.Have felt foolish to ask, NO more, I WILL ask !Rona
Old 01-08-2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by rona thickpenny
my thinking entirely .It drives me mad when I dont understand the abbreivations.Have felt foolish to ask, NO more, I WILL ask !Rona
Good girl!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I was always told that, No question is a Stupid question. I'm with you Mattee!
The only stupid question is "should I buy this fabric?"
Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 PM

nice!

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I was always told that, No question is a Stupid question. I'm with you Mattee!
The only stupid question is "should I buy this fabric?"
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM

What I feel bad about is asking questions that have been asked before. I'm not very good at searching, I never find what I'm looking for.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM

I don't think you should feel badly. It can be difficult to find an answer, depending on what you're asking. Also, we are always getting new members who may have new insights.

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

What I feel bad about is asking questions that have been asked before. I'm not very good at searching, I never find what I'm looking for.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM

To all wonderful quilting people, We are ALL in the learning process. I don't care how many quilts someone has made IT WAS ALL DONE IN THE LEARNING. That is the creative fun of making a quilt. Always have fun no matter how it ends up. They are all beautiful!!! LOL