Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stop start button or foot pedal? >

stop start button or foot pedal?

stop start button or foot pedal?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM

I'm a vintage machine guy. None of my machines have the start/stop feature. I'm also the oddball here because I prefer a knee control over the foot pedal, the knee control never moves around on you. I'm not sure I would like the start/stop button. I like the instant feedback of either a foot control or knee lever. There's no lag time while you're reaching for the button and I can keep my hands on my work. If I want even more control I'll turn the machine by hand.
Rodney
Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM

I tried out the start/stop button when my new machine arrived. I really do not like it. I havent really sat down and used it for a prolonged period but it just didnt suit me when I have tried it. Although I thought of it for FMQ. May have to give it a try again just for that purpose.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 AM

I've posted before but just wanted to share how I started using my start/stop button. I was having back problems and in order to sew I set up my machine on a table that I could pull up real close to my recliner. I had my feet up and of course using a foot control was out of the question. I was just sewing 2-1/2" squares together in long chains. I set the speed control to very slow at first. Pretty soon I got really good at reaching for the button without even thinking about it. Really don't notice my hand being away from my work at all. I read somewhere, maybe on the board, that most right handed people use their left hand to guide fabric anyway. Wish my little Featherweight had a start/stop button 'cause her foot control really likes to slide away plus I really don't like the button thing.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:47 PM
Zed

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Foot pedal. I accidentally hit the Start button once. It was scary because I had the machine speed high.
Which machine make and model was this on? I like the pedal and the button - depending on what I am doing. What I don’t likeis that most machines work with one or the other - if the pedal is plugged in, the button is disabled.

I'm looking for machines that let you use the button, even when the pedal is plugged in.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:27 AM

Never had the courage to use the stop/start button. How do you control the speed like you can with a foot pedal? May be too old to change my ways. ;-)
Old 12-18-2021, 10:27 AM

My machines with the start/stop button always have a speed control switch. You simply set the speed where you want it! The speed can be changed easily depending on the type of sewing you are doing. It is very easy to get use to using the start/stop button.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:42 AM

on my machine when I fmq I do use the button it starts out slow then increase with speed.