Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor >

Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor

Stopping kitties from tossing your pieces on the floor

Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My cat was bad about knocking everything off any surface in my sewing room. He would jump up to my sewing machine and bat the needle as I was sewing. DH installed a screen door going into my sewing room. This kept Puddin out but didn't cut me off like a closed door so he was fine laying next to the screen door watching me.
I get soooo hot in my sewing room and I have to close the door because of cats and dogs. I have central air, but it's not enough. I want to buy a standing air conditioner for my sewing room. But I also like the idea of a screen door! It would keep it cooler in there. What a smart idea!!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:19 PM

My cat ate thread and nearly died, so please be careful. She had surgery and it was touch and go for weeks. Now she's ok, but I keep her out of my sewing room. According to the vet, it's as common as it is dangerous -- with dental floss, too. My cat also loves (loved) taking pins out of my design board. Please be careful.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:20 AM

I had a friend who had cats and had to barricade her sewing room with a screen door just as you walked into her house! I thought that is one reason not to have cats or dogs in the home! I would rather not stress out about pets and worry what they can do to my home!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I have two cats and a studio with no door, but the cats were taught from 'day one' that they are not allowed to be on elevated hard, flat surfaces like tables of any height, desks, dressers, counter tops, or ironing boards and they're fine with that. They've never touched anything on my work table and I'm confident they never will. They're really not all that much different than dogs with soft furniture and indoor toilet priveledges.

ETA: I don't use pin cushions, they look too much like cat toys and that would just be asking for trouble. I much prefer them loose in a small dish anyway.
We always have at least 2 cats (and 2 dogs) this is what we do with 'everyone'. From day one, there are some places that are forbidden. Bit of a trial in the beginning, but they do learn fast.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:42 AM

I don't have cats, but a few years ago I was cat-sitting for my sister's two cats and was living in her flat for a month while she was away. I used the dining table to sew and would just turn a laundry basket upside down to cover my "work in progress" when leaving it unattended.