Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Storage ideas

Ate at KFC one night and they put the potatoes and cole slaw in small round plastic containers with lids. I washed them and they are perfect for small stuff. Bobbins, needles, etc. Many containers can be reused for different things. I re-use what I can.

Good ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I use ziploc bags for kits or projects that aren't completed yet but intend to get to *some day*. Also make up kits for days when I just have to do something and don't want to take the time to choose fabric from my stash and cut it up. I just bought the ziploc 2 1/2 gallon size. Those are for ufo's and quilts I want to make. I put everything in one bag, fabric, thread, pattern etc.

Blog Entries
    I use the little the resealable baggies that walgreens puts prescriptions in to put the pieces for each block in so that they stay together. I also use them for cut up scrap pieces for latter scrap quilts as I can see what color and size they are and I can also write the info on the bags. My DH and I get at least 10 of these every month. I also use the $1.00 storage boxes to store all my fat quarters.

Plastic Gerber baby food containers (rectangular, clear, snap-on lids) are great for button sets, small notions, and protection for you sewing machine feet like rufflers, binders, and much more. One of my sons has twins. My DIL saves these for me.

I bought a five gallon bucket from Lowes and then I bought a mans tool holder for this bucket.It has lots and lots of places inside and out to put your sewing notions in them.You just slide them in.Like little open pockets.This slips over the bucket so you have inside and out side pockets.Plus you have the whole indide of bucket to put bigger things like plastic containers to hold pens and needles.Your sewing machinecords,rulers,zip loc baggies any thing that will fill your bucket.It has a nice handle that has a sponge around it for easy carring where ever you need it.I carry it to quilt classes and keep it next to me at home so I just reach down and grab what ever I need.Every thing is at finger tips.I fit rains just put a plastic bag over the handle and slide down the bucket to cover every thing. I love it.I will take a picture of it and try to send.

sew many great ideas....ty

I use the divided lunch style zip lock container for carry around applique. The "sandwich" side holds the pieces, thread and scissors. The skinnier "carrot stick or whatever" side holds my magnetic pin holder. Now my magnet and scissors don't get all tangled up and I can take my scissors out without de-pinning them. The snap on lid keeps everything neat and the shape fits in a tote bag or on the stack of books next to my chair.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    This isn't strictly a storage type of idea, but it has changed my sewing life (grin). Clean out a large or small coffee creamer bottle (like the Coffee-mate ones with the red tops), fill with water, and use it to fill your iron. No more spilling water all over the place; these things never drip, and the tops close tightly and don't leak, just in case you're a klutz like me and keep knocking it off the ironing board. I have a small-sized bottle to take to classes, and the bigger size for home.

I've bought a bunch of the small plastic schoolboxes/pencil boxes at the back-to-school sales this year. I use those for everything! I have small cabinets that I store all of my sewing stuff in, and I can stack those little boxes on the shelves and still be able to close the doors.

Oh, and just one more idea... those little rectangular plastic Gerber baby food containers. The lids lock nice and tightly and they're great for storing small items. Now I just have to find someone with a baby because the little boy my Mom used to babysit is almost 4 and doesn't eat baby food anymore (but I still have a stash of containers from when he did eat baby food!).
    I use empty, washed out very good, dish detergent bottles to fill my iron. Works very good, no spills, unless you miss the iron hole....lol Love this thread!

P.S. I use pizza boxes for quilt blocks, plastic sheets for patterns and all my patterns that have been cut out, i.e. sunbonnet sue, etc. These boxes stack really well. Every time I go to a pizza place I ask to buy a couple boxes. I have different sizes.

Blog Entries
    Oh my GK are addicted to hot chocolate in the winter time and we go through lots of Nestle's Quick. Like an earlier post, these are square (ish) and tall so fit like books on a bookshelf. Yeah the Gerber baby food containers are great--just need to find a baby and mom close by now that Sam's one.

One day when I cleaned off my counters--had to take a pic cuz it's not that way now LOL
    Name:  Attachment-242367.jpe
Views: 158
Size:  51.5 KB

I use old pillowcases to put my larger pieces of fabric in (the backing ones) to keep them out of the light and dust free until I'm ready for them. Then I just pin a little piece of paper on the outside letting me know which fabric it is and how much there is of it.

Blog Entries
    great recycle ideas, thanks for posting this.

I buy parmesan cheese in the large container at SAm's. It's perfect for storage of small spools. The animal cracker containers are perfect for larger spools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luscious Marilyn
    I really enjoy the "Crystal Light" drink mix containers. They are narrow and only 6.5 inches long, great for traveling to retreats, as they take very little space. The label on the container peels right off exposing a clear, see though view of what you have stored in it, or ID it.
    Yes, I love these containers. It is surprising how much can be stored in them. One of mine carries scissors, thread, needles, and anything else I need for a mini travel sewing kit. I keep one by my chair in the living room and one in my embroidery bag with my projects. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    What great ideas. I use the ice cream squares for scraps when at a class. Love the ziploc squares, especially teh ones that have twist on lids now. Great for buttons and clips for binding, etc. I use the baby squares for Project Linus labels. Can't lose them that way. Now I have to write down some of these ideas. Thanks.

I use chocolate boxs and cookie tins :D it it so funny to watch DH face as he pulls one off the shelf and open it only to find fabric scraps and not yummies :lol: :lol: :lol: and he dosent even realize that there ARE cookies and chocolate hidden! he just gives up to soon! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB
    great recycle ideas, thanks for posting this.
    DonnaB: Your Avatar is beautiful! ;-)

thanks for all the usable ideas.
    jean

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: Yeah I store my buttons in a cookie Jar that I can see though... Store my thread on a home made thread holder.. Found at a yard sale for free... :thumbup: :roll: 8-)

I'm going to have to dig in my kitchen garbage for the feta cheese container. It was a #5 so I can't recycle it but now that I think about it, it would probably be great for storing some small sewing things. I also need to get the lettuce container out of the recycling. Thanks a lot, ladies!

pal
    I save and use all of the plastic vegetable and fruit containers. I pull all of the paper labels off and then clean the glue off with WD40.
    I make good sized lables out of colored paper and the big wide magic markers and just put them inside the container looking out. This way I can see what is in each container instead of having to go right up to it to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingSister
    Great idea! Just a thought - wouldn't these Ziplock containers work great for binding to keep it organized as you are sewing it on to your quilt? I'm going to save one and try it! I'll let you know how it works...
    Here's what I do with my binding when sewing it onto a quilt. It's out of the way and works wonderfully. :thumbup:

Where I put my binding when sewing it on to a quilt
    Name:  Attachment-242650.jpe
Views: 115
Size:  45.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingSister
    Great idea! Just a thought - wouldn't these Ziplock containers work great for binding to keep it organized as you are sewing it on to your quilt? I'm going to save one and try it! I'll let you know how it works...
    Here's what I do with my binding when sewing it onto a quilt. It's out of the way and works wonderfully. :thumbup:
    Great tip--thanks.

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: Also a old tupperware containers work for storing pins, needles..

I use cosemetic bags to store my ipod, phone and other cords, cameras, gps, scarfs, hankie collections. I get the Bioteen samples from my DDS that come in a clear zippered pouch. Great for knitting markers, etc. Would be great for small appliques although I use the ziplock bags.
    I have small drawers from Walmart stacked in the closet to hold rullers, zippers, single patterns, etc. Larger drawers are stacked for my stash. One large bin is for scraps and I have large fabric yardages on hangers, in order of how they will be used.
    Now I should "Get Busy"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast