Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Storage question? >
  • Storage question?

• Storage question?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Actually both dust and sun fades fabric.
    Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM

I have all mine in the Sterilite containers that have the two sided fliptop lids that interlock but are not totally air tight. And they are in a closet with doors. This keeps the dust and light off of them. I do notice the tops of these boxes get dust on them and I'd rather have it there than on the fabric. The lint from fabric is hard enough on my lungs without the added dust.
    Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 AM

I had the exact concern but also love being able to see all the beautiful fabrics. I am just now creating my quilting room/studio and just beginning to get a little stash. I LOVE Fat Quarters because since I'm a NEWBIE it lets me collect lots of cool fabrics without spending a ton. Plus I do alot of swaps so am frequently doing just one block. Anyway....I found a little cabinet with glass doors for my FQs on Craig's List. I LOVE it.....I got it for cheap and then repainted it white to match my other furniture in that room. I haven't filled it yet but can't wait. I'm hoping to find something similar for my larger amounts that I have purchased for making whole quilts.
    Have you seen the ones IKEA has? They have the glass doors....I really like them.

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    I've seen all the great pics of everyone organizing their sewing rooms. My question is how do you keep dust from accumulating on the "open" fabric? Also, it is ok to store the fabric in plastic bins like Sterlite and Rubbermaid?
    Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 AM
    Power Poster

i am all the time (into) my fabrics so they are rotated, moved and (dusted) on a daily basis...i've never worried about dust accumalating in my sewing room...it is much too busy of a place for dust to have a chance to settle
    Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 AM

My fabrics are all in vintage lawyer's bookcases with glass doors so I don't have a problem with dust. Couldn't imagine having to clean the dust off all the time. My overflow is kept in plastic storage containers by categories so I know where to go for what project I want to work on. I have read so many opinions about fabric on wood and using plastic being harmful but personally have never had any problems and have done this for many years. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way on this subject but more personal preference. Somebody is always coming out with something new to spend our money on and swearing you must do this or that to preserve your fabric but quite honestly fabric has survived for decades in just about every situation imaginable so it's really not a issue for me.
    Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM

I'm just starting to get a new quilting room. My fabric will then be in closed cupboards. Otherwise, I would keep them in plastic containers like so many of the other quilters.
    Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM

I keep mine on open shelves. I don't seem to have a problem with fading because there is no direct sunlight in that room. If they get dusty (or dirty) I just wash them.
    Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM

Once again, all great ideas and commemts!
    Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by juliea9967
    I have seen all the great pics of everyone organization their sewing rooms, too, and I caught the bug. I am 67 and I doubt if I will be keeping my stash for more than 20 years, so I am using regular cardboard to put all my fabric on. I couldn't believe the change it made in my stash, and I can see what I have. It is amazing. There is a black batik that has a hint of blue that I have wanted 3 or 4 times over the past couple of months. I looked for it and couldn't find it. However, when I did my reorganization, I found over 4 yards of it. I keep my fabrics in a closed cabinet so I don't have any problem with dust. I also have some fabric in plastic bins and I am not going to worry about whether my fabric will be all right 20 years from now.
    Julie

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    I've seen all the great pics of everyone organizing their sewing rooms. My question is how do you keep dust from accumulating on the "open" fabric? Also, it is ok to store the fabric in plastic bins like Sterlite and Rubbermaid?
    Hi Julie,

There can be problems with having fabric stored against regular cardboard that is not acid free. I would recommenc looking into the comic book cardboard that has been talked about. You may need to do this over a period of time. It is even advised to just fold your fabric with the ruler method and not have cardboard. The regular cardboard can affect your fabric rather quickly from what the postings have said.

Pam M
    Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 PM

For those of you with open shelves and storing your fabric the light can fade the edge of the fabric. I would put a curtain cover hanging from the top to cover the fabric. You could use those swing back rods depending on the width of each shelf unit. Another idea is to check into the vinyl they use to cover windows for uv protection. Not sure how readily available it is and how it would work for this application. For those without windows please note that even the lights in the room can fade fabric though not as fast as daylight and sunlight.

I'm in the process of moving, but I have some small storage cupboards that I plan on using and if needby I'll had a shelf or two. With the doors on the units the dust shouldn't be an issue. This way the fabric is behind closed doors to the light and then when I'm working in the sewing room I can open the doors and enjoy the view!

Pam M