Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storm at sea troubles >

Storm at sea troubles

Storm at sea troubles

Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 PM

Default Storm at sea troubles

I went to my lqs for help with the storm at sea design phase. I bought 18 half metre cuts and arrayed them by tonal value. Following the advice of the lqs owner, I created a fairly mathematical progression for incorporating the fabrics. I am now finished three rows following the math and I am really worried. There are four more rows to go but it doesn't see to be flowing or undulating the way I wanted it to.

Do you have any advice? The fabrics are so beautiful and i really want this one to flow tonally across the top. I am happy to rip it out and I have lots of fabric, but maybe I'm just not seeing it so far and it will all come together?

the very first block, top left, is a mistake. But it's close to the right combination of fabrics according to the pattern recommended at the lqs.

Thanks!

aileen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531378[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 03:27 AM

Gorgeous. Makes me want to start this pattern. Put it up on a design wall and you will see it better.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:45 AM

It's gorgeous. I think you need more rows to see the undulations you are talking about.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

The only item I see that stand out is that all the top rows have dark centers and that the 2nd row has pastels of various colors. I have seen this pattern before but never have done one.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:04 AM

I'm not sure what you're going for but I can see the movement of the waves, keep going. Can you see it better in the picture than you can looking at the quilt? I usually can.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

It looks beautiful. You may wish to print out a "coloring" page for your layout and take some colored pencils to it so you can see as you progress if the undulation is as dramatic as you are hoping for. About half way down the page is downloadable SAS coloring pages
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...sea-quilt.html
Old 09-22-2015, 04:29 AM

An easy way to see where your values are 'off' is to change your photos to black and white. It eliminates the distraction of color. I took the liberty of doing that to the one you posted.

See if it helps you get an idea of where to make placement changes, add value steps, etc. Your idea has great potential and you've made a very strong start; keep going!!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I would go & look at google images for storm at sea quilts. The ones with color progressions seem to continue the same colors across the entire diagonal row. Your color placement seems to end the colors after 2 rows, then the 3rd row seems to stars another set of colors, which may be the same value, but for me, break the flow of the quilt up... I covered the third row of blocks and the top 2 rows seem to flow. I really think looking at other photos and Feline's suggestion of coloring in a grid are your best options.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:04 AM

A suggestion. Take a picture of each of your different blocks you have created. Copy them into a document and print a couple of copies. Then cut them up and play with the arrangement. And, if you haven't done so, please go to either Yahoo or Google and search for Storm at Sea Quilt Images. There are so many ways to get a quilt to undulate and you will see lots of them. Good luck with the quilt.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:04 AM

Great idea to show it in black and white, ghostrider. You are a clever lady!!! I'd prefer to see the dark values in one corner and then graduating down to light in the opposite corner.