Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Straight Line Quilting

Straight Line Quilting

I made a top from Elizabeth Hartman's Dogs in Sweaters pattern. I started quilting it on my Juki 2200 with the walking foot on using straight vertical lines randomly spaced. I"m alternating stitching the rows top to bottom and then bottom to top. I'm having trouble with the quilting distorting the horizontal seams. It seems to be pushing them a bit so they look wavy. What is causing this? Could it be that the pressure on my presser foot is too heavy?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    do try loosening the presser foot tension. Are you using a walking foot? That might help instead.

Yes, I am using a walking foot. I"ll try lightening up the pressure on the presser foot and see it that helps. Thanks.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    Try less pressure on the foot and if I notice the fabric distorting, I persuade the fabric in front of the foot with a straight pin. I sweep the fabric towards the foot with my straight pin as I sew.

Thanks, Tartan. I'll try that.
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    which type of batting are you using?
    if it's polyester, it's nearly impossible to keep the top smooth unless you baste the tar out of it first.

for me, anyway.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

bj
    I also find it helps me, when I’m quilting the layers together, to sew slowly. It seems to alleviate some of the drag.
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

Blog Entries
    I tend to use my walking foot for that. helps a lot. oops, just saw that. I did one recently i'd pinned. hate pinning. when i spray baste, all is better.

I would avoid those seams and quilt at least 1/4" away from every one of them. It's their thickness that is causing the problem.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I"m using Warm and Natural batting, Patrice. No polyester.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I would avoid those seams and quilt at least 1/4" away from every one of them. It's their thickness that is causing the problem.
    The problem is crossing those seams. I don't know how to avoid crossing the horizontal seams when quilting vertical lines and random widths. The same thing would happen if I quilting horizontally, it would just be the vertical seams.
    Patrice S

I use Machinger gloves, smooth and hold the fabric taut while I machine quilt. A quilt in a LA will be taut so that is what you want to mimic. I do all my machine quilting with a walking foot, curves, wavy, spirals, circles, and shapes.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Sounds like the pressure issue might be the problem....can you release it a bit? I do a ton of straight line quilting with my walking foot and there is no distortion. Also, i always increase the size of my stitch very slightly. The norm on my machine is 250. I go up to 275 or 280 and with the weight/drag/pressure foot combination, the stitch comes out close to normal.

Patrice, I use my 401a for walking foot quilting. I also use warm and natural. I spray baste. I set the pressure on the foot about as low as it will go. I set the stitch length at about 8 stitches per inch.

In my vast experience of three lap quilts, I've had no problems.

bkay

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    I made a top from Elizabeth Hartman's Dogs in Sweaters pattern. I started quilting it on my Juki 2200 with the walking foot on using straight vertical lines randomly spaced. I"m alternating stitching the rows top to bottom and then bottom to top. I'm having trouble with the quilting distorting the horizontal seams. It seems to be pushing them a bit so they look wavy. What is causing this? Could it be that the pressure on my presser foot is too heavy?
    Sewing machine jacks (a term I wasn't familiar with but just figured out) can be used to get the foot over bulky seams. It's just a little piece of plastic that you put under the foot so that it doesn't have to "climb" over a seam. I've never used mine with my walking foot, but I think it would work, though it would interfere with the top feed while it was in place.

Reducing the foot pressure would be a better solution, but if that doesn't work....