Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight ruler for sweet sixteen? >

Straight ruler for sweet sixteen?

Straight ruler for sweet sixteen?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:20 PM

Default Straight ruler for sweet sixteen?

If my sweet sixteen had a walking foot it would be perfect. But of course it doesn't. I need a ruler to make straight lines and some videos on how to use it for making straight lines.

Any suggestions?

The sweet sixteen is a sit down long arm so rulers used on a DSm will not work.
MJ
Old 10-08-2017, 01:25 PM

you will need to get rulers that are 1/4" thick. Check out Handiquilter's site, they have several that would probably work for you. There are lots of videos on Youtube showing folks doing ruler work. Patsy Thompson does ruler work on her sit down long arm--she has an APQS George, you could check out her Youtube videos. There may also be some on the Handiquilter site explaining how to use rulers in quilting.

Rob
Old 10-08-2017, 01:47 PM

You can get all of the Westalee rulers for a longarm machine. They will work great on your sit down HQ 16, and they don't cost more for the thicker rulers.

Right now, HandiQuilter has a ruler of the month program going on. This month's ruler is the "Line Grid Ruler." It has lots of lines printed on it, and you can work inside the ruler, or outside the ruler. It's a pretty awesome straight edge ruler!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
If my sweet sixteen had a walking foot it would be perfect. But of course it doesn't. I need a ruler to make straight lines and some videos on how to use it for making straight lines.

Any suggestions?

The sweet sixteen is a sit down long arm so rulers used on a DSm will not work.
MJ
That's not necessarily true if they are 1/4 inch thick you can use them on high shank dsm
Old 10-08-2017, 03:19 PM

My absolute favorite straight ruler for my Sweet 16 is the "Line Tamer" from Four Paws Quilting. You can buy it online in a number of places, but I bought mine from the designer. You can use any long arm ruler on your machine, and I have gradually bought a number of them. The Line Tamer is the one I use most often though.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Go to the Handiquilter/Sweet Sixteen website and you will find rulers for sale.
They have always had good demo videos on their website too.

And of course, your local dealer should have the rulers for you,
as well as be able to instruct you on the how-to's.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:33 PM

Yes, the line tamer! That is my go-to ruler for straight lines on my Babylock Tiara. There are many good ones out there, but if I could only have one, it would be the line tamer.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:20 PM

My favorite straight line ruler is Linda Taylor's--it's about 5" wide and about 6" long and I can easily "palm" it .
Old 10-08-2017, 08:03 PM

My advice would be to start with a smallish straight edge like a 2"x10" with 1/4" etched lines in it, and 1/4" thick of course, and see how you do with it. Anything larger is difficult to get onto controlling at first. I bought a bunch before I got proficient that I find I don't bother using. But I love and use my straight edge all the time, on my DSM, my Sweet 16 sit down and now my Longarm. A must have ruler! IMHO
Old 10-09-2017, 06:05 AM

My sister has a Sweet 16, and she uses the Line Tamer ruler, also. What is great about that ruler is that it is shaped like a tuning fork--two rulers with a 1/2" opening--just wide enough to allow the ruler foot to sit inside it. So, you just aim the Line Tamer where you want the line to go, and the stitching line is easier to visualize than "I must position the [other] ruler 1/4" away from where I think the stitching line will be. I was so impressed with the Line Tamer that I bought a 3/16" high Line Tamer ruler for my domestic machine (a Viking Sapphire.)