Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight stitching >

Straight stitching

Straight stitching

Old 05-13-2020, 07:03 PM

Default Straight stitching

I need to make a lot of flying geese, I am making them the traditional way with squares on the top of the rectangle.
What I would like to know is how do I sew diagonally without marking or ironing the squares.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

If you want accurate geese, just draw the line.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:01 PM

if you put a mark(or edge of a piece of tape) on your machine that lines up directly with your needle position, then you can line up the opposite corner of you rectangle/square combo with that and follow it all the way to your needle. I don't know if that makes sense, but I know i've seen some do it on youtube.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:19 PM

I just lay an index card across from one corner to the other, then sew along the edge of the card. It works really well.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I just lay an index card across from one corner to the other, then sew along the edge of the card. It works really well.
I will try this. Thank you for posting the suggestion.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:18 AM

I would always mark the sewing line with a fine pencil then I got the flying geese ruler by Eleanor Burns and that is how I get my flying geese made now. It works great.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 AM

Quiltedsunshine's suggestion is easier, but it is also another use for tape in your supply kit. Disadvantage is taking it on and off each time, but if you are also putting pieces together as you sew them, not so bad.

Depending on how big my goose unit is, sometimes I will make bonus HST out of the cuttings. If they are on the smaller side of things, I just trim off and don't worry myself about it, but somewhere bigger than 2" I start feeling a bit extravagant. If I'm saving the cut offs, I do draw the line down the middle and I pin, and then I use the 1/4" quilter foot zip me on either side of the one drawn line which then becomes my cutting line.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:38 AM

I too have use the Eleanor Burns ruler and her techniques for a very long time. I just got the Flying Geese Accuquilt die so I will be able to make a nice one using that. The only thing there is it is only one size so I won't be giving up the EB ruler none to soon.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:56 AM

Here's what I was saying. It helps to be coherent, but a picture or two is worth 10,000 of my words.

Bonus HST's From Flying Geese
Old 05-14-2020, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

The is the best new notion I have bought this year: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...onal-seam-tape