Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilts - Paper, stabilizer, fabric or None? >

String Quilts - Paper, stabilizer, fabric or None?

String Quilts - Paper, stabilizer, fabric or None?

Old 09-28-2020, 04:55 PM

I've done it 3 different ways--when I wanted a specific color in the middle and then worked out on a diagonal I used paper(like Carol Doak)as it was easy to draw design on. When I was wanting a diagonal 1/2 solid/ 1/2 strings I used a lightweight muslin( hassle picking off the paper) and it was ok--little heavy to quilt. I also have used multi size strings in blocks(all strings in the block) and then "woven" the light blocks and the dark blocks---did not use any foundation and it worked fine as I wasn't cutting or sewing on the bias. Think of it as almost like bargello which doesn't use a foundation.

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 09-28-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I use the old phone book pages, but am never happy with how the stitches look once you tear the paper off. The line of stitching looks baggy after the tear (bad tension). I might need to try it on some light interfacing, leaving the fabric on.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I use the old phone book pages, but am never happy with how the stitches look once you tear the paper off. The line of stitching looks baggy after the tear (bad tension).
I've always attributed that to how hard you have to work to get the pages to tear. This is why I switched to vellum paper. Once it's sewn and pressed, it becomes rather brittle and tears quite easily, no pulling on the stitches. It really doesn't even tear, more like falls apart.