Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip piecing? >

Strip piecing?

Strip piecing?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:19 AM

Jan, thanks for the illustration and explanation. I didn't know that!! Love the way you share so everyone (even visual learners) can understand. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:02 AM

When I strip piece, I use a foundation of muslin, overcut so I can trim to the desired block size when I'm finished. Has worked extremely well for me. Plus, when you have the blocks finished, they are already quilted & there is no need to use batting. I call these "sleeping porch quilts" because they are lighter in weight and great for summer, warmer climates, or just cat naps. They're especially great for donation quilts too. If I don't have muslin for the foundation, I have used that "ugly, what was I thinking" fabric for the foundation. Give it a try & let us know how it turns out. Have fun & enjoy the process!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:12 AM

I am also currently making a strip quilt...my 1st one. I thought it would be easy-peasy, just straight sewing lines, right? NO! The least bit of deviance shows up on those long rows, everything gets off kilter, etc. No bowing yet, thank goodness. Probably because I did alternate my starting points like everyone one here has suggested. I'm just going to let it go a little wonky and put a funky, old fashioned label on it, so it looks like all that weirdness was intentional.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:16 AM

I have never had that problem and I strip piece a lot.....are you sure you are cutting the strips on the lenght of grain? Do a few strips now, test the fabric to make sure you are on the side that doesn't have a stretch. After you cut one strip, test it to see if it stretches, it is easy to get the grains confused. Press your steam gently. I press with a lift and touch on the wrong side first to head them in the direction that I want and then when I am on the right side, I don't have to press too hard...try the lift and tough and press gently.....
Old 06-22-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by char7439 View Post
I always use my walking foot to sew strips. Never have a problem.

This is the solution I use, but the sewing of strips from alternate ends works well also. Another trick I have found is to lift the two strips up off the sewing bed just a bit as you send them through to the needle. It is something factory sewers use to keep "the creep" away. I just pinch the strips together with my fingers, sew up to the foot and then re adjust.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:51 AM

You should switch sewing direction for each strip.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 AM

Alternate your strips. I agree with the other ladies.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM

I have always read how important pressing is. I read to press the seam the way it comes out of the machine, then press open. I hope this makes sense.
I agree on alternating the strips also.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM

I agree with the others....play with both your stitch length and your tensions. I strip piece basically everything on a 70+ year old Singer and have never had problems. BTW---I don't bother to alternate which end I sew from. I never remember to, and that would require my keeping up a lot better with what goes where. As it is, I just lay it out, mark the left ends with numbered stickers and start sewing.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Beginning your stitching at opposites of each row plus loosening your tension will help. That was one of the first things we learned in my last strip piecing class.