Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Strip Quilt -How fast

my sil and I took a class had most of it done in the class came home finished that one and did another top that evening so I have to quilt tops ready to finish. My sil and I bought the fabric for the borders and just waiting for another weekend off to finish. Bought three jelly rolls at tuesday morning, the bigger ones were 14.00 the small one was 5.00, sewing all my strips last night when I got home from work, after awhile counted strips together there were 80 in the strip, with 20 more to go, someone at the store must have combined a couple of jelly rolls together and didn't notice. there you take a gamble sometimes there unrolled and the staff just put them back together and put a rubber band around them. I think its going to be a big top with all those strips I have together. It's the don't bug me jelly roll with all the bugs on it, with some solid pink and green

Please show pictures

Blog Entries
    I did this in a class and the Race was for who could get finished within an hour. Now, granted this was after all the strips were laid out and ready to go after stitching them end to end. Whoever finished in an hour won whatever prize was up, I think this was 50.00. The class took about three hours, but was a lot of fun, because you are visiting with folks and chatting it up.

In the class, you cut off 14 inches from the first strip, so it staggers the colors/prints.
    In the class, if you are twisted at the end of the strip, you lose 2 minutes.

I had bought a saltbox Jelly Roll, I think they have 8 different fabrics in the Jelly Rolls. When class was over, I bought a packet of five purple and green fabrics. I cut my own strips at home and made another one, because I did enjoy it. Of course at home I can cut the fabric when it twists. lol, but yeah in class I had bad twisting after sewing all the strips together, when sewing I just took a bit more time to try and keep it untwisted before I'd sew the next strips. I didn't win the main prize, but I still enjoyed the class. I forget what we came up with to stop the harsh twisting on the first 1600 inch piece.
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

And I'd be right there along side you! I'm not fast either, doesn't make any difference whether I am quilting, making baskets, crocheting, knitting or what ever, I'm always last. But like you, I say my husband and family is happy with what I do and that's all that matters.

I did one earlier this year. It took me a the better part of a Saturday afternoon. I did not try to sew as fast as I could. I got the strips twisted once, then I started laying the the material out on my floor to be sure there were no twists. I enjoyed doing it and like my end product. I have another jellyroll that I plan on doing the same way. It was fun to have an almost finished product in less that a day.

Blog Entries
    My guild did the jelly roll races for our community quilt workshop this year. Starting with all the strips sewn together and ready to sew, the first to have her quilt sewn was in 18.6 minutes. the second was 18.9 and this one was pin basted before wewere through. these two gals sewed 2 more apiece in our time frame of 3 hours. One lady did get hers sewn, basted quilted and bound in the 3 hours. These were lap size quilts. It can be done by some. Just not by me. My top was done, but I still have to baste, wuilt and bind mine.
    My DD came in 3rd at 19.2 minutes. hers is up to quilting now.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Part of the fun is enjoying the journey, racing seems to end too soon.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Old joke - if I'm holding a bee in my hand, then what's in my eye? Answer: Beauty is in the eye of the bee holder. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
    Too funny. Thanks for the laugh.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Quote Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
    Part of the fun is enjoying the journey, racing seems to end too soon.
    For these quilts the fun is the race.

Banned
    The first things you do is FORGET ABOUT THE QUILTER WHO DID IT IN ONE HOUR
    The second is take your time and at each row let it fall down in front of you. Try to keep some order with it.
    Third is take a little time and smooth out the row so it is reasonably straight
    And if it twist, just cut it apart and then straighten up when it is finished.
    I saw several of these at the recent show in Cleveland where the quilter had added borders to the entire center which makes a very attractive quilt. You could even cut it i half and then add a border to each for two crib size quilts.
    I made one in which I used ony one fabric. It was printed in a gradated color the length of the fabric. The one I used was a pastel primary/secondary color way. I cut it into 42" lengths and then cut into 2.5" strips and sewed it together. It always gets ooooos and ahhhhhhs. I sewed them together on the diagonal which took a bit longer but was very attractive.

Our small group did this not as a race but to make quilts for Quilts of Valor.

I sure do like your jelly roll quilt. Love the colors. Thanks for sharing the picture with us.

An interesting technique, but I try to do harder, more challenging quilts to keep me busy without having to buy too much expensive fabric.
    Penny aka PLS 1946

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    Just like trying to make the 10 minute block in 10 minutes, LOL!
    or the "quilt in a day". ha

my friend loves scappy pieces. she has done several with scrap strips (4" and up) from a color family adding bits of contrast here and there. these really turn out cute.
    Last edited by pdcakm; 04-02-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

The ladies in the video had their strips sewn together before they started timing them. That takes the most time. I enjoy making the jelly roll quilts, but I don't go for speed. I just enjoy the process. It is relaxing if you aren't trying to beat the clock! lol

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    I have made MANY of these with variations. I now have discovered I like them better when I use the strips cut in half instead of the full 40". I don't time myself, because I am like many of you, a little bit of a perfectionist to try to do it speedily. They go faster if you don't do the angle seam thing. I made several one weekend. I have a couple I still have to find backing for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I have a black and white jelly roll I'm considering using for the jelly roll race quilt. But I think when I'm done I'll use it for a "canvas" for a large floral applique. I'm thinking maybe California Poppies would look cool.
    What a wonderful idea! Please post a photo when you finish it.

Yes, silly me as well.... I saw the youtube video of Missouri Star Quilt, Jenny did a race quilt and made it seem sooo easy. Supposedly it takes 45 mins. So I attempted it....they never tell you how twisted your 1600 inch strip would get and that it took me over 2 hrs to untangle it. Then I thought it would be better to pin the sides together so that it wouldn't get twisted again. Well I spent over 6 hrs on this 'quick easy quilt' and still haven't finished it. I'm at the squaring up and putting borders on part, so maybe the end is near?!
    I'll post a pic when done.
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna
    "O taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!" Ps 34:8

Blog Entries
    We did the "Jelly Roll Race" at our guild meeting. First we sewed all 40 strips end to end, which took about 20 minutes, then we started the timer and started sewing the actual top together. I won....in 55 minutes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I have a black and white jelly roll I'm considering using for the jelly roll race quilt. But I think when I'm done I'll use it for a "canvas" for a large floral applique. I'm thinking maybe California Poppies would look cool.

Oh, Queen, I would love to see this quilt finished....bright orange CA poppies on a black and white background would be exquisite!!

I live in beautiful Bozeman, Montana and have seen a bumper sticker often that says "did you move here to be in a hurry?" Same way I feel about quilting races. I quilt because I love the feel of the fabric, I feel great when I have finished something that I have made (be it easy are more difficult), and I love to give gifts that cannot be a duplicate of somebody else's gift. I don't want to be in a rush as so much of the rest of life is a rush. Yes, there may be a reason to try to get a gift on time, but I have been know to just add a note to a card that states "interesting things come to those who wait" and give the homemade gift when it gets done. Last time it was getting a baby quilt out to a 3 month old (just made it a little larger so she can use it longer) I have made (not yet quilted) the stip quilt you are talking about. It took me all afternoon but I enjoyed every minute of it. We were "camping" in our trailer in Ennis and DH got me all set up to play sewing while he went fishing for the afternoon. He came back to a happy wife and a cold beer so he was thrilled too.

I am another one that can't do "fast" things. Oh well, different stokes for different folks.

I did this quilt to out if jelly roll and it took me an hour to sew together the strips. After I did this I realized I had sewn them at wring angle and had to rip 40 strips and see again. Then another hour of sewing. Once they were sewn together I was able to do the race part and it took a hour and half. So so much for 45minute top.

Used a civil war fabric jelly roll and working on borders now.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Our guild did the jellyroll race as part of our sew-in for National Quilt Day--our winner did the sewing of the top together in 44+ min--but she sews FAST! I was that person that finally made it across the finish line at a slow walk! I didn't figure out a way to not get the twist when you doubled it, etc. I made this as a charity lap quilt (big one with 44 strips) but frankly thought it was pretty plain despite the bright batiks. So when I quilted it I started with a "sun" in the middle and then had sun rays going out to all sides. Not bad, although like the back (black with white and yellow sun/rays) better than the front!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Mine is all from fabric I got from swaps here - I tried to stick mostly to florals - so when I am done I will have a HUGE Group hug from members here
    I like that idea!!! I can't wait to see yours...Here's an early (((HUG)))

I just had a duh! moment...I really like the arrangement...will have to try one.
    Last edited by Tink's Mom; 04-02-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    Cindy- your top is so pretty ! Love it and Thanks for sharing the pic- others please post them so we can all see them
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast