Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: strip sewing lights feedback

strip sewing lights feedback

There are two brands of the attachable strip LED sewing lights for the top area above the throat area. Has anyone seen a comparison or do you own one of these and can provide feedback?

Eclolux Lighting http://ecoluxlighting.com

Inspired Lighting https://www.inspiredled.com/sewing-m...d-lighting-kit

Obviously one is more pricey than the other. What can you add to the info on their websites?

I have the Inspired Lighting and I also ordered the expansion kit. It does light up the sewing area very well. The only issue I have is that it appears lint has gotten under the strip and coated the adhesive on the back of the strip, thus making it impossible to stick to the machine. I currently have 2 rubber bands holding the strip to my machine.

I have the inspired lighting on my Juki for over two years with no problems. I think it was the only choice back when I got it.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I bought a strip of LED lights for my new mid arm from my local store that sells over-stock from other stores. I'm pretty sure you could get them at any electronics place, too. A very long roll and work great and they were just like the ones I bought for $$ from Inspired lighting a couple of years ago. I think they cost $12.00 and no shipping.

Watson

The problem I had with the strip light was I kept knocking it off when doing machine quilting. The quilt would fill up the space and push the strip off. The adhesive isn't strong so it can be removed without damage.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I found the best lamp for quilting. Seriously one of my favorite purchases in my sewing room. Itís an adjustable neck LED lamp by Tao Tronics. It has many lighting levels and I typically use it at its brightest when sewing. The gooseneck lets you put direct light where you need it. It also has a port for charging your phone, which is great because you donít need to use up a valuable outlet. I bought the white model.

Truly love everything about it. Doesnít take up much desk space, isnít too heavy or too flimsy and so bright thay I can successfully tell which side of a white fabric is the right side. $29.99 well spent.
    Last edited by zozee; 09-17-2018 at 12:30 PM.

I have the Inspired brand and absolutely love it. I've had no problems at all.

I use a floor lamp with bendable 'arms' with five LED light bulbs. 4 LED bulbs in overhead light. Bought it several years ago at Target.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have Ecolux. The lighting is good but I do have trouble getting it to stick because large quilts are always bumping it.

For those having trouble getting the LEDs to stay stuck on, could you clean the two edges and use Command strips to attach them?
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two of these for light for my Juki, they're magnetic, I have one stuck to a can of baked beans and the other to a can of tuna. they give great light and I can move them as needed. great for reading too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinite View Post

I have two of these for light for my Juki, they're magnetic, I have one stuck to a can of baked beans and the other to a can of tuna.
    ...... beans... and tuna...?? On your Juki??? I'm trying to picture this and it's cracking me up.

You should not use anything magnetic on a computerized machine. It will wreck the machine's computer. Please read your manual before using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    ...... beans... and tuna...?? On your Juki??? I'm trying to picture this and it's cracking me up.
    LOL! they aren't that close to the machine, one is about 8 inches away and the other 12 or more, they throw light very well so no need to have them super close.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two of these for light for my Juki, they're magnetic, I have one stuck to a can of baked beans and the other to a can of tuna. they give great light and I can move them as needed. great for reading too
    I really like the magnetic part. It seems just a bump pulls the sticky strips off.

I've never had a problem with the strips coming off and I've quilted several queen and king sized quilts on the machine, since I installed the lights.

I have had the inspired brand on two of my machines for over two years with only one problem occurring. Shortly after I attached them to my Janome 6600 the sticky part failed. I called Inspired to find out what would be the best way to re-attach them. They sent me free of charge two kinds of adhesive tape to use. As I was re-attaching the strip, somehow I broke it. Called back asking if I could just purchase the strip of lights as I had all the wiring. Believe or not, they asked me to measure how much I needed and then they sent me another measure of the LED strip free of charge. I was amazed at the level of customer service. Both times the package arrived within a few days. The new adhesive tape has not failed in 2 years and I am delighted with the lights.
    I bought mine from Amazon and they have an offer of a kit for two machines for about $14 more than the single machine at $30.
    Highly recommend these lights and I have lost count of the friends who have ordered after seeing mine.
    Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
    You should not use anything magnetic on a computerized machine. It will wreck the machine's computer. Please read your manual before using them.
    I don't know about all computerized machines but this is not true for Husqvarna Viking. I have the Diamond and the Epic and that question is always addressed.

Blog Entries
    I have the Inspired lights purchased through Amazon. I don't know how I ever sewed without them! I do have the same problem as others with the strips not sticking in spots however. I don't understand why sewing machine manufacturers don't have lights covering the whole throat (harp) built right in which would make the strips unnecessary. Maybe some do now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
    For those having trouble getting the LEDs to stay stuck on, could you clean the two edges and use Command strips to attach them?
    Sounds like a great idea. I might try that. Thanx.

Blog Entries
    I have a wide throat on my machine but not very deep, so I bought an Ottlite that has a flexible neck so I can aim it where I need it for each project or part of a project.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Last summer I attended a quilt expo and came across this vendor selling LED light strips (SewLite) for sewing machines. There are two lengths, and I chose the longer one which is about one and half inches long for $30.00. As short as it is, this strip truly illuminates the area. The strip and cord, etc.is attached by adhesive circles. I used tape similar to painter's tape because I am switching them back and forth between two machines. I have no regrets at all.

www.lumitask.com

Zozee - you got a good deal; they are now 37.99.

I have the Inspired set of lights and love them. I can't sew without them anymore 'cuz I can see with them.' I don't even turn on my machine light anymore. I did use some white electricians tape to anchor the end of the strip so that it would not catch when I do free motion work, but so far have not had any trouble with the adhesives and I have had these lights for over two years.

I have an Ott Lite that has a flexible neck. I love it. It's attached to the back of my sewing table and is out of the way. I can bend it any way I choose and it lights up the area beautifully.