Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Struggling >

Struggling

Struggling

Old 12-23-2014, 04:30 AM

Am I an odd one out, altho I haven't made a lot of quilts I love all colours, I do have my fav colours lilac and purple the best, then reds and blues. I also have not made a quilt for a person I don't know or on commission, so I cannot comment on that.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:43 AM

Think about the person you're making it for, rather than thinking about the quilt directly.

I'm doing that now...I have 2 quilts I'm trying desperately to finish for Christmas, and neither one is my style AT ALL. But as I'm working on them, whenever I start to feel sick and tired of looking at all this foo-foo fabric, I just turn my mind to thinking about how much I love the people I'm making them for, and how the quilt will be loved and appreciated by them. That turns me around and makes me dig back into the work happily.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:11 PM

Sew the quilt because you like to sew. Sew it for the process of sewing, the joy of sewing. I make a lot of quilts for homeless families and often of whatever fabric I have on hand, some donated. Generally, I am not crazy about the colors but someone always likes them. I watch tv or listen to music or lectures or books on tape and just lose myself in the enjoyable process. It's much easier to give a quilt away when it is not your favorite colors.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 12-23-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
1. Be proud that your friend values your craft and asked for you to make a quilt for a special occasion.
2. Keep reminding yourself that this is not a quilt you will keep. Therefore, it doesn't matter if YOU like it or not. It matters that your friend (and her niece) like it.
3. Find something about it that you appreciate. (Color, pattern, your perfect 1/4" seam, the seams pressed correctly.....)
4. Set yourself mini-goals and work at one goal at a time. That way you don't think of "HAVING to finish a quilt" but finishing step X. It will be done before you know it.
Hope that helps. Yes, I have worked on quilts I don't like, so I had to suspend my emotions. I was always surprised by the end of the project how much I had grown to like it.
These are great suggestions, thanks!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

When working on something I don't like, the reward of being done with it is the impetus that keeps me going (and hurrying!) I work faster so I can get done and rid of it sooner.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 PM

I had to make an Oakland Raiders quilt for a family friend. Being that I was raised a KC Chiefs fan and became a Charger fan after moving to San Diego, I felt like a major traitor making a Raider Quilt. ;-) Once it was done it was a great relief. It made our friend so happy, I told him I had to wear special gloves to keep from getting Raider cooties, which made him laugh.