Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuck in a slump >

Stuck in a slump

Stuck in a slump

Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 AM

WOW...I know how all of you feel. My biscuit/rag quilt is still on the dining room table waiting for me to get back to cutting the seams. My grandaughter's bag...I was working on it this week and screwed up the bindings...sewed the short pieces to the sides instead of the front and back. Realized my mistake AFTER both pieces were on so got as far as ripping out the one...DREADING all of the ripping out of the other one. So it's sitting here while she is impatiently waiting...lol. My Snow babies fabric is on the table to be cut. And the weather here sucks...been cloudy and humid since Friday and is going to be ugly all this week. So I'm in a bad mood about that and don't feel like doing a thing. Well...except going to bed and covering my head.

I told myself...since it's going to be ugly all week NOW you will feel like sewing. Hope I can talk myself into it. LOL
Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Why do you think it will be cut wrong. Have more faith in yourself, just take it slow
Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Just relax, don't even attempt to do anything that is quilt related at this time. Close the door to your sewing room and eventually you will get the urge to start something.

Do stay on this board and read, read all entries, then suddenly a fabric, a quilt or a comment made by one of us will inspire you to quilting heaven and on your way to recovery. Have a nice day.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM

find a pattern you really really like (plenty of samples here) and do the quilt just for fun, no pressure. It works for me again and again (that's why I have so many UFO's)
Old 09-04-2011, 09:33 AM

I could have written this. I feel the same way. It is a struggle. I read everthing I study tutorials and ask however. when it comes to doing it I always mess up or struggle so much I just want it to be done. I have the desire but not the abiity I guess. I have a lot of supplies so I am hoping to do more this winter.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Is that the only material you have? I'd suggest you pull something from your stash and do a different/small project. When you say things like "I'm gonna mess it up anyway? guess what: You will because you set your mind up to mess up. It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why don't you change the tone of your self-talk to say: "Come on! I can do this! It's gonna be beautiful and I can be very proud of myself for meeting this challenge."
Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
Baby steps. Not sure by your message why you feel you will cut everything wrong, perhaps the whole cutting out process is overwhelming for you? Baby steps. Take your list of cutting requirements, and one color of your fabric and make all the cuts for that one fabric today. Then step away, be happy with your accomplishment, make a checkmark next to your cuts made on your list and start again another day.
I find most of my mistakes made are when I'm tired, and just want to get it done.
If you are concerned about miscuts (which happen to everyone at some point) I think Marcia's idea is great. Try that and I bet before you know it you will be happily sewing along.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 AM

Gee, I have been feeling the same way,can't get enthused about any of books or patterns...I think I'll take a class, but I am afraid I won't want to finish the class....glad to see I am not alone...
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 AM

sorry for your loss Latrinka, its never easy losing someone so close tha you love dearly. Been there done that last year. Give you self lots of time to grieve etc.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Well, I can say that I've been there, done that, many, many times. I haven't done much the last 5 1/2 years since my husband became disabled with vertigo and I got laid off, the second time in a year, and have never found a job. Long story short (although I've been told I don't do short very well by my DSIL), we gave the house back to the bank, moved from a 3-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom apt. I purged a lot of fabric to a friend and some charity groups, but held my ground on the last group of plastic bins - there is a limit. We were in the apt. over 6 months before I could get organized enough to begin quilting. I've made a few quilt tops, table runners, placemats and the family reunion quilt, and I'm slowly - repeat slowly - getting back my quilting bug. My advice, long winded though it may be, is start slow, grab a few quilt magazines, go out and buy new ones, go to your LQS or fabric store and just window shop. I got patterns and some fabric to make clothes for our now 15 month old granddaughter, and that sort of got me going again. You'll get the quilt bug back, just be patient. Best of luck to you and stay in touch with the QB, it has been a God send to me in getting back to quilting with all the inspiration and helpful advice of quilters I now consider cyber-friends.