Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stupid question 42 >

stupid question 42

stupid question 42

Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 AM

Remember the days of metal sprinkler caps with cork around the neck to fit tightly down into a bottle. I spent many a day spreading out all the cotton clothes, sprinkling them, rolling them up and placing in a plastic bag and then into the refrigerator overnight. Now I spritz fabric, roll it and let the water soak into the fibers and then iron.

Most important tho, is to let the fabric cool before moving it on the ironing board. Takes longer and this impatient gal
has to bide her time but it seems to help. If you move the fabric while it is still hot the wrinkles just rebound. Learned that from a you tube video of one of the younger men quilters. Can't remember his name.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 AM

I steam iron my fabric before cutting if there are deep wrinkles and creases and steam iron the cut pieces for deep wrinkles before attaching them if necessary -- wonder why your fabric tends to ripple??-- good luck!!
Old 10-20-2014, 06:29 AM

I do not pre wash. I do heavily starch my fabric with 2/3 Sta Flo to 1/3 water. I put the fabric in a Zip Lock bag and place it in the freezer or refrigerator, usually overnight. I almost never have trouble getting out wrinkles with a dry iron. If I do, I use a spray of Best Press on the wrinkle.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:42 AM

Some of the new irons do not get as hot as the older ones. I have heard this from more than one person. One lady said she bought an older one from the Goodwill because hers wouldn't get nearly has hot. I have an older iron, and from 1 to 10, I only set it on #5 because it is very hot!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 AM

when I wash new fabric, I put it in the dryer for just 10 minutes and then iron it, I never have problems with wrinkles
Old 10-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SandyG View Post
Thank you all. What I meant by ripples, was the edges of the fabric sometimes come out wavy. I'm going to give the vinegar and water a try. Thanks again for your help.
The selvedges tend to shrink differently from the fabric. Even if not prewashing, ironing with steam can cause the fabric to shrink slightly (but not the selvedges). This is why you need to cut the selvedges off!

Fabric shrinks differently when washed by itself vs being washed in a quilt. The quilting stitches make the 3 layers of the quilt "as one", with batting limiting how much any given fabric can shrink. In other words, with moderate quilting, batting will not allow fabric to shrink more than it does. This does not apply when quilting lines are far apart -- such as 10" apart -- because within that 10" a fabric can shrink more than the batting. When quilting lines are 5" apart or closer, I have not seen any problem with fabric shrinkage even when fabric was not prewashed.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 AM

A little tip, if you put vinegar in the water helps to keep irons free from mineral build up while using steam.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
Some of the new irons do not get as hot as the older ones. I have heard this from more than one person. One lady said she bought an older one from the Goodwill because hers wouldn't get nearly has hot. I have an older iron, and from 1 to 10, I only set it on #5 because it is very hot!
I agree! New irons are wussy. Bought an older GE Made in USA iron at a church rummage sale for $3 and LOVE it!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by just joan View Post
A little tip, if you put vinegar in the water helps to keep irons free from mineral build up while using steam.
Better late than never, I need to do that to see if I can get the yuck out of iron. It's fine if I have it just on steam but if I push the button for a burst of seam (just found out) some rusty looking stuff comes out on my new WHITE material GRRRR
Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM

Its nice to see others remember dampening the clothes and putting in the refrigerator or the metal cap put on a pop bottle to sprinkle the clothes when ironing. I use Best Press now and it seems to work great