Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this stupid? >

Is this stupid?

Is this stupid?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM

I agree too, take it with you. When we used to vacation at a state park, my machine was with me and when I went with my DH on his business trips, my machine was there too. One of my quilts is named "Tumbling Road Blocks" because it was all done in a travel trailer.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 PM

As someone from central Illinois who has gone to the Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach, I can think of nothing better than to sit on the deck and sew while watching the grandkids play in the sand and water. Unfortunately when I went it was with a bunch of non-sewing friends so not only was there no room for my machine, they wouldn't even let me stop at a fabric store. We were pretty packed so there wouldn't have been room for fabric anyway but still........
You can't stay on the beach all day long and there's only so much sightseeing you can do. TAKE YOUR SEWING!!!! If anyone says anything just remind them that you are on vacation so you should be able to do what you want.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM

My sewing machine has accompanied me on many a vacation... go for it and enjoy!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Default Not Stupid, Very Smart!

I totally agree that you should take your sewing machine. It rains alot in Oregon, I know I have lived there and if you are stuck indoors you'll be able to do something fun. Plus you may want some "me" quiet time with out the family to relax. Have a great vacation, can't wait to see what you make.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Exactly IT's YOUR VACATION!!! If you want to sit around and just sew GO FOR IT_I always take something with me to either hand sew or draft no matter where I go . HAVE A GREAT TIME In fact we are going to Vegas in May and part of my vacation is going on A QUILT SHOP HOP
Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM

I would take it. Some of your family may want to do things by themselves and you can sew. We take our grandkids to a cabin by a lake and I take mine. They sometimes want to just watch TV or read a book that they brought or play outside where I can see them. I can sew on the porch if they are outside. They are used to me sewing. I would tell them that you brought your machine so you could sew if you want to. That may give them permission to do some things without you without their feeling guilty. My family all know that I love to sew and they are very independent anyway.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM

Nothing quilt related is stupid! I did the same thing once - spent a week at a beach house with hubby, our daughter, spouse and their son. Found a sweet fabric panel with Koi and some coordinating pieces for borders. tucked in my Featherweight and a basket of basic tools. On a cloudy afternoon, the little guy was napping, so I stayed in while they went off for some couple time. DH just hung out, and I pieced together a lovely little wallhanging. Stopped off at nearby JoAnn's for batting when we went out for food, and hand quilted it as I relaxed during the week. My other daughter, who lived nearby, immediately claimed it for her office, and it became a special memory for me along with our beach walks, kayaking, and other vacation activities. Always good to be prepared! Enjoy your vacation guilt-free, but not quilt-free!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM

I like your approach to leave in the car until the time is right. It is your vacation after all so enjoy.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM

To tell you the truth, for just 4 days I wouldn't bother with a sewing machine. Visiting with all the family, beach time, etc. would probably be enough to fill up my time. Maybe some hand sewing when nothing else was going on would be nice - or a good book.

But it's your vacation to do with as you want. Have fun!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Smile vacation from sewing!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I never take any sewing when I take a vacation. I can sew at home. There are lots and lots of things I can't do at home like go walk on the beach with a granddaughter that I'd much rather do on vacation. You'll come back revived and refreshed and ready to tackle all your projects.
I try to take handwork when away from home. I agree with Scissor Queen....i'd rather spend the time on the beach or with my family.....but then, my family is really never able to get very many together as everyone lives so far from each other. That would be more important to me than sewing for a few days! But whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your time and feel refreshed when you return home, and hit the sewing again!!