Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sturdy enough? >

Sturdy enough?

Sturdy enough?

Old 08-18-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Sturdy enough?

We are moving locally. Are the 6 or 8 ft. white resin tables sturdy enough for a full-size machine such as a Janome 6600? Would it shake or be bouncy? I currently have my machine on wall-to-wall built-in cabinetry. Many thanks for your input.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:41 PM

Everyone has their own tolerances, but for me it's not sturdy enough, and is also too high to sew comfortably.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:46 PM

I woudn't risk it. When I first started sewing I sewed on a 6 foot white resin table. I had a lightweight beginner machine. The table was sturdy but too high.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:02 PM

I have a Pfaff Creative 3.0 on one of these 6 ft folding tables - it works just fine for everyday piecing and even embroidery but if I am in a real hurry and sew very fast I do get some bounce.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I had a 6600 and no way I would want to sew with it on a resin table.
It's a great machine, but I think the table would totally take away from the pleasure of that machine!

Look for a used "table" that was sold with the machine.
It was a good solid basic frame and table top to it, but not overly huge for fitting into a room.
Or a solid desk. Or anything more solid and stable than a resin table.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:16 PM

I put a piece of plywood on the resin table and put my Big Brother on it. That takes out most of the bounce, but to tell you the truth, I don't sew that fast. My accurate 1/4" seam goes by the wayside when I try to sew at top speed. It does stop the bounce when I use the embroidery module. At home, I use a regular table, even though it is a bit high. I just raise my office chair.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:58 PM

I have a folding dining room table from Ikea (think expanding from seating 4 to 12). And I have a Pfaff 5.0. I find that the ends are bouncy but as long as I keep the machine on the center part, it is fine. I would think the same would apply to a resin table. Can you put your machine near the edge where the legs would help support it?
Old 08-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I have a 4' white resin table, I only use it to my left to hold items while I am sewing. I would not put my machines on it.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:18 PM

I used a 5 foot resin table for my Brother Innov-is 5000 which is a fairly large sewing/embroidery machine. I did find it somewhat bouncy but stopped using it completely when I realized the table had warped such that it the machine was sitting in a hole and the embroidery unit would no longer align with the machine head. As a result, the embroidery hoop was rubbing on the machine bed and was starting to hang-up as the hoop went in and out. The table warping seemed to be caused by the heat from the machine when it was on and it took about 2 years. To replace it, I bought a ‘student desk’ from Ikea, that is a simple table which has a table extension that slides in and out. The desk is working very well and I’m very glad I made the change.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Do you have one of the glass top patio tables? I was using a resin table and found that it was a bit high, also to take some of the vibration and bounce out I put one of the old rubber mouse pads under the motor end and a piece of cardboard the same thickness under the other. Then tried the glass top patio table it is a little lower very sturdy and no bounce.