Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ruler base >

ruler base

ruler base

Old 08-15-2018, 06:09 AM

Default ruler base

I ordered the Archie ruler designed by Angela Walters. I have the special foot. I was just reading another QB post and it seems I also need a ruler base for my machine. What is it? Is it a smooth plastic surface?.....a base so that you can use the ruler? Do you buy it separately or do some machines have it included? If I need to buy, are their special sizes for different machines? Could someone give me more info about what this means? Photos and links to sites that show examples would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 AM

Guess that would have been my next question on the other thread Looking forward to hear the answers!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

​A ruler base is a must have for long arm machines. If you are doing ruler work on a regular sewing machine, I find the acrylic surround that is on my Bernina just fine. Basically you need a flat surface underneath the type of ruler you are using so it is easier to hold it in place while you quilt around it.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:23 AM

Tartan, what you are meaning by "acrylic surround", is that something like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599570[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails unadjustednonraw_thumb_2a53f.jpg  
Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Hi Crackers, sorry to cause you confusion and concern on my reply to Monale on her thread. A ruler base is needed for longarm machine that is mounted on a rack. Most domestic machines already have a surround of some sort going around the free arm. As in the pic Monale posted above. Some people call it an extension. About the only reason you would take the surround off of a domestic is in garment sewing for things like sleeves and cuffs. You most likely have a surround on your machine. I have never heard of a modern sewing machine not having one and quite honestly most vintage machines have them as well.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Yes, that is what I mean about the acrylic surround. Most machines do have a detachable surface that goes around the free arm and it is a big enough surface for ruler work.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Oh! Thanks to all of you. I do have the acrylic surround on my machine. QB members are the best!

feline fanatic...no problem. I get confused easily! Must be an age thing.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by crackers View Post
I ordered the Archie ruler designed by Angela Walters. I have the special foot. I was just reading another QB post and it seems I also need a ruler base for my machine. What is it? Is it a smooth plastic surface?.....a base so that you can use the ruler? Do you buy it separately or do some machines have it included? If I need to buy, are their special sizes for different machines? Could someone give me more info about what this means? Photos and links to sites that show examples would be appreciated.
For dsm you just need a flat surface like a extension table or recession into a cabinet for a longarm you need a ruler base. You do need a ruler foot for all machines
Old 08-15-2018, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Boy am I relieved! I just bought Angela Walters rulers and had no idea what you were talking about! I have a domestic.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:28 PM

our guild recently had Angela Walters as a presenter. she also suggests for doing ruler work on your DSM that you use a slider on that table/extension/surround (like a Supreme Slider) so that it's easier to move your quilt smoothly. And to remember that the ruler is a guide, you are the "stitch regulator" so practice matching up your machine speed with your hand movements (machine a little faster). Good luck!