Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Style changing? >

Style changing?

Style changing?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hosta
Do you find your style of quilting changing such as fabric likes and dislikes? I started out loving the flowers on all my fabrics now I am really getting into batiks and arty quilting. But I find myself with all this flower fabric so I need to hurry and get it made into projects so I can move on to what I really want to do.
Me, too! I thought I was the only one! I have found my tastes changed so much that I didn't want to use my old fabrics. I decided to use up all my old fabrics, and not to buy too much more until I'd used up the majority. Two years later, I've taken my stash from a large walk-in closet w/22" deep shelving, jam packed, down to 2 tall rolling wire basket carts and one large shelf of backings. It's wonderful! Now I enjoy buying when I see something that will blend in with a future plan...but I don't think I'll ever stock up that much again. I've learned an expensive lesson :)

I find I like buying a new piece of fabric or two to use in a quilt very much. My tastes change, my DD's change, even my GK's have changed. And I do like to shop! I think this is what I was missing before, and I got to the point where I couldn't justify purchasing any more new fabrics when I had so much I needed to use. I wasn't sure I could do a 'no buy', but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Now, I have the flexibility to keep some basic/loved pieces stocked, and I supplement those with the newer fabrics as I plan for a new quilt. I truly enjoy collecting for a project.

I still have to deal with the UFO's that are of older tastes, and many of which were inherited. I may end up making some tough choices here too.

So far, my new plan is working great...but we'll see long term :)

Debbie in Austin
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
I love using all colors in my quilts. My main problem is that I am forever attracted to and can't resist buying pinks and I don't know anyone besides me and DGD who would want a pink quilt. LOL.. and we both already have one. I would do a lot more pink in my house but for some reason DH is not in favor. Lol. I get it in where I can.
Who said you can only have 1 quilt? I have a big place with lots of naked walls - at least they were naked when we bought this place. I have been working on covering them up! I don't paint, I quilt!

I bought a very, very large bin with wheels on one end to store my quilts in. Recently, I bought a 2nd one! I divided my quilts between the 2 with all the Mariner's Compass quilts in one. I also have several quilts for the beds. I like the flexability of being able to change out the quilt when the mood strikes!

Go ahead and make all the quilts you want - even if they're all pink ones.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:40 AM

I like some of almost everything.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:14 PM

I've thought about it, and I think I like all of them, depends on my mood at the time.

I think that way of viewing quilting makes up for my 'put the furniture in one place and leave it there' way of thinking. We even designed our house's addition with furniture palcement in mind. There's even an electrical outlet in the floor, meaning the furniture has to be a certain way.

But the quilts and quilted items style is whatever whim I have at the moment
Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Originally Posted by wildyard
I love using all colors in my quilts. My main problem is that I am forever attracted to and can't resist buying pinks and I don't know anyone besides me and DGD who would want a pink quilt. LOL.. and we both already have one. I would do a lot more pink in my house but for some reason DH is not in favor. Lol. I get it in where I can.
Who said you can only have 1 quilt? I have a big place with lots of naked walls - at least they were naked when we bought this place. I have been working on covering them up! I don't paint, I quilt!

I bought a very, very large bin with wheels on one end to store my quilts in. Recently, I bought a 2nd one! I divided my quilts between the 2 with all the Mariner's Compass quilts in one. I also have several quilts for the beds. I like the flexability of being able to change out the quilt when the mood strikes!

Go ahead and make all the quilts you want - even if they're all pink ones.
I love your attitude! I try to keep on sewing so that I really do not have a "stash" to worry about getting out of date. Hubby says what are we going to do with another quilt, I say USE IT.