Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sublimation Techniques For Quilting >

Sublimation Techniques For Quilting

Sublimation Techniques For Quilting

Old 04-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Default Sublimation Techniques For Quilting

I'm curious if there's anyone out there that has created sublimated fabrics and used them in quilt projects.

For those of you that don't know what sublimation is, here goes...

Designs are created on the computer and printed out on special sublimation paper, using "sub" inks. the design is then pressed onto the fabric using a "T-shirt press." The fabric must be at least, partially made from polyester in order for the ink to take. It is totally color fast and will not run.

I have used sublimation in the past for swimwear fabrics, but never for quilting fabrics. any tips? Ideas?

~ Cindy
Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM

I think that a photo quilt might be fun using this technique. Take the photo, scan it into the computer, print it, stamp it onto a poly blend quilting fabric. You could put all the family members on there, including pics of people that are no longer with us. A family tree quilt!

You could also do your own artwork in Photoshop and transfer it onto fabric. That was my experience. I took old, vintage scarves, laces, dresses, etc. and examined their designs and then thoroughly reworked those designs to make them my own. The look was very vintage.

~ Cindy
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 AM

Where would you buy the sublimation paper and inks? Do you need a special printer?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Additionally not many have access to a T-shirt press.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Yes, you do have to by sublimation paper and inks, but they aren't too expensive. I also had a couple of inexpensive printers that took sub ink. The heat press was more expensive...about $400. There might be someone that does t-shirts that could help out. Maybe they would print up your fabric as a side job.

~ Cindy
Old 04-25-2014, 12:25 PM

Be sure to lower your iron heat so the fabric doesn't shrink. My grandma has a couple polyester mixes from back in the day in her stash and she says she always knows when she accidentally gets one because it shrinks when she irons it. It happened to one of my corner squares when we were putting the border on my first quilt. Fortunately we were using 1/2 inch instead if 1/4 inch for seams (so impatient niece had play room) so we were able to fudge it straight again.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:44 AM

I think that if you print it first, then sew it in, you won't have the problem of shrinking afterwards. It's the non-printed fabrics that you'd have to worry about. They should be prewashed.

As for where to buy inks and papers...they can be found online. It's been awhile since I've done it, so I don't have any current resources...sorry.

~ Cindy
Old 01-09-2023, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I think it would be okay for wallhanging and similar. I wonder if it will be difficult to sew through or if it would peel like on photo quilt pictures.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:22 AM
mkc

9 yearold Zombie thread bumped by Spammer Azeem677889. Spammer reported. Do NOT click the link in the post.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:41 AM
mkc

annajurisii22's post is spam. Do NOT click the link. Reported.