Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Substitute "Slider"  - wha'cha think?? >

Substitute "Slider" - wha'cha think??

Substitute "Slider" - wha'cha think??

Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
It will be interesting to hear what people use. I just bought another slider...the small one for 25.00 (5 was shipping) I hate paying that much but I do find it so much easier to FMQ with it.
Brain flash - Have any of you tried just punching a small hole in the center of a silicone pressing sheet, and taping it into position on the machine? I wonder if this would work?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by carolaug
It will be interesting to hear what people use. I just bought another slider...the small one for 25.00 (5 was shipping) I hate paying that much but I do find it so much easier to FMQ with it.
Brain flash - Have any of you tried just punching a small hole in the center of a silicone pressing sheet, and taping it into position on the machine? I wonder if this would work?
Good idea, I'll bet that would work!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Originally Posted by romanojg
First of all it won't hurt to try; if it's thick enough to stay flat. I've heard on here where others have bought vinyl from the fabric store and made one just putting a small hole where the needle goes. I agree; the idea of the slider is great but the cost sets me back a bit. I'd rather spend the money getting the extra's for my new machine that will help me learn and create better in the future. I'll spluge where I need to and save where I can.
See five posts right above yours.
I think I quoted the wrong reply (above). Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:18 PM

the non stick liners for your oven . Place under needle to get a hole position and then punch a hole
Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM

I use the teflon oven liner with a hole cut in it. I got it at BB& Beyond with one of their 20% off coupons--about $16. It works great. I do use a bit of masking tape to keep it from sliding around.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 PM

I sewed on clear vinyl for many years making computer covers for a company. I would never consider it slick. It comes with a tissue paper between the plastic because it sticks to everything. I sewed velcro on it in an intricate pattern and it was a chore. Not recommended here!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 PM

I buy my vinyl at wal-mart and it works really well on my machine and the tables I use. I've been using the same piece on my tables for over a year and it still works great. The ones on my machines, I have replaced once due to carelessness on my part. Just the other day I was using my vintage machine with the $27.00 slider on it and tore a big slice in the slider because the needle wasn't up all the way, when I was removing it. So must be extra careful with those sliders as it is now garbage. The vinyl, takes a lot before damage is done. I think I purchased the medium weight vinyl.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM

I use a plastic sheet that is made to cut vegetables on. Get them two for a $1 at the dollar store. Cut the hole for the needle and tape the sheet down. Works fine for me.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned

The oven liner works well
Old 10-18-2011, 07:00 PM

I would just try it if it works you got a deal.