Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for block placement >

Suggestions for block placement

Suggestions for block placement

Old 12-31-2019, 07:47 AM

Default Suggestions for block placement

I am about to begin the "Jo's Floral Album" quilt and was hoping to get a bit of advice on the block placement.

I'm attaching a picture of the quilt so you will know what I'm talking about.

This will be a wall quilt and it is driving me crazy that some of the blocks will be upside down and on their sides while it is displayed on a wall. I'm thinking of placing the blocks all in the same way (uprights for a lack of a better word). If I do this it will mean I need to alter the 4 corner blocks as they would be too tall (since, for example, they will not be going from bottom left corner to upper right corner).

Will I ruin the quilt if I do it this way? I know there isn't any rules you have to stick with, but I certainly don't want to do this quilt and possibly enter it into a quilt show to have someone say "why did the quilter mess up with the block layout?".

Thanks so much for your help/advice!!!

Suzanne in VT
Attached Thumbnails jo-morton-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-31-2019, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

If you plan to use it as a Wallhanging, putting all the blocks facing up will look nice. I notice in the picture that they have placed all the vases facing the center block and it looks nice too. Totally up to you.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

If a wall hanging i would definitely do them all up right. makes the eye happy. Very pretty.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:36 AM

It's your quilt and you'll never truly love it if the block placement bothers you, so I say, do it in the way that will please you.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt/wall hanging. I'm with others, place the blocks upright.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:35 PM

It looks like all the blocks are square, so should not mess anything up if you rotate them.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:26 AM

You're right, the corner blocks are taller since they run from corner to corner. I would make the center and the middle blocks first. That should give you enough experience to modify the corner blocks. Then place them all the same direction. Especially since it's a wall hanging. Looks like a great pattern to make a smaller Baltimore Album quilt. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:49 AM
anonymous

I think it will look better rotating than the pic you posted. If it were a table topper I'd like their arrangement. Beautiful quilt.