Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions For Blocks? >

Suggestions For Blocks?

Suggestions For Blocks?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM

How about Quilt in a Day's Egg Money Quilts? If you don't have this book, you can purchase it at Quilt in a Day's Website. You can also check out Quilt in a Day's Media Theater to see if Egg Money Quilts would be something you would like, before you purchase it. Also,you may be able to find a copy at your local library. If your local library does not have a copy, they may be able to find one at a different library. Egg Money Quilts is a book about the 1930's and have many different patterns to make a sampler.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 PM

hi ps150
i think the sampler idea - while very nice - is also very time consuming. in the past few years when making 2 quilts under similar circumstances, i chose a 9patch alternating with a churn dash. when doing the layout, start with the 9 patch on top
(and make the 9p so the outer blocks are the lighter fabric), you will get a nice circular effect. to personalize the quilts, i had the kids, grandkids and great grands send an outline of their handprints. i ironed each hand print to 2 thicknesses of freezer paper and voila - instant template, then i just added initials. i can't remember what else i did for each quilt, but the handprints certainly filled up a lot of space. on the outer border for one quilt i used the christian fish icon, as the recipient was a very spiritual woman. i wasn't sure if this would be seen as insulting - or a nice touch - but i checked with someone and she gave me the go ahead.
sending good thoughts to you and your friend
lefty - in philly
Old 06-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I finally finished BOTH quilts!! Here's the link to the pictures: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post6126309
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM

You're a sweetie to do this.

Unless she is a quilter she won't have have a clue as to the names of the quilt blocks you do. So, IMO, choose ones you like and don't worry about the names of the blocks being "biblical". Something with the names of her kids on it would be great. I'm considering doing something for my parents with all the names of the children and grandchildren embroidered (but it's not a comfort quilt, but rather a 'grandparents' quilt.)