Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Suggestions for a "farm" theme baby quilt?

Suggestions for a "farm" theme baby quilt?

I was gifted a nice size piece of fabric (flannel) with John Deer Tractors on it.

I thought it would make a nice backing for a baby quilt. I'm thinking of using cotton for the top, and maybe in a farm theme.

Do any of you have favorite patterns in mind with a farm theme, baby quilt style?

I normally do modern themes, so this one is a little out there for me. LOL

Thanks!!
    Red

Lori Holt's book, Farm Girl Vintage, has all sorts of farm theme blocks. There are chickens, tractors, barns, milk pails, ect. Of course she does her's in 30's fabrics but there is no reason it can't be John Deere colors and normal farm colors.

I have seen great John Deere themed baby quilts. They have used simple blocks of the same size of the fussy cut tractors and greens and browns with it...and some yellows as well. A simple embroidered deer on the off blocks in green would work as well. My advice is to simplify the design and not over think it or over work it. ( Many of us, including me forgets the KISS rule 'Keep It simple Stupid' that I grew up with!) Wonder how many others did also.

This is a table runner I made for my son and dilís farmhouse. Patterns are from Lori Holtís Farmgirl Vintage. I plan to make a lapquilt with these blocks....great little patterns!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would do applique blocks with different farm animals (pig, cow, sheep, chicken, goat, etc) maybe a tractor and then intersperse with the john deer fabric (like every other block is a john deer block) or you could do the animals in the middle and then a wide john deer border. simple and I Spy type!

I love these ideas! I never thought of doing some of these. Great!

Blog Entries
    My favorite with a panel is to put it behind a window, as if you are looking out the window at it.

A great way to get free applique patterns is the print off kids colouring pages from the internet. I'm collecting farm themed colouring pages for an appliqued farm quilt for one of these days. Just a tip.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    Eleanor Burns has a quilt that has a barn...I’m not sure what else. Have fun deciding. The Lori Holt squares are cute!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Good suggestions and you are going to have fun with this one.