Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive. >

Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive.

Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by carlasuewho
Some of us aren`t "joiners". I like to putz around in my garden, stitch, cook and quilt. I have no desire to be in any club or guild. I`ve experienced the humiliation of sitting in on various meetings of all the above, in different states and the results were the same. High falootin experts with regular followers who make the newcomers feel like they don`t belong. I quit attending church for the same reason. I can talk to God, quilt, cook and garden without all the fancypants experts. I get all the news and clues I need via the internet. And for those of you saying "There`s no personal interaction with that", I say EXACTLY. Life is short. Fill it with what makes ya happy, not with what some goofy club thinks would make ya happy, if only you were up to their standards.

If you've experienced the same in different clubs in different states then I would have to suggest it's probably not them, it's you.

"goofy club" "high falootin experts" "standards" All those words tell me you have a problem.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
We have two guilds near where I live - one is closely knit and pretty cliquey, the other is great. Guess which one I am joining?

Or maybe they're just good friends outside of the guild and hang out together the rest of the month.

I really don't think most guilds are cliquey at all. They're full of women that have known each other for many, many years and are friends outside of the guild and do other things together.

It can take a good long while to get to know people that you only see once a month. Most guilds have people that only come to a few meetings and then disappear.

If you only go to three or four meetings and sit in the back by yourself and never talk to anybody and then go around bad mouthing the guild you really haven't given them a chance. Go sit in the middle! Introduce yourself to lots of people! Tell them "I'm new to the guild." Give them a chance to get to know you!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 AM
CRH

I joined the local quilt guild a year ago. Guests are given a spool of thread (Connecting Threads brand), and are introduced during the meeting. Yes, there are internal groups, but plenty of friendly quilters, and the new members can always stick together, too.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 AM

I belong to a guild, for about a year now. It is mostly very nice ladies, but, they like sitting with their friends and visiting with the ladies that they know, like most of us. It is very hard for newcomers to break into that. The suggestion to just sit in the middle of all of them, doesn't always work, I've had them move to another table to make room for their friends. Having board members sit at a different table each month, is a great idea. The "bee" small groups at my guild are all full, which I understand, most of us can only accomadate so many in our homes, and there is a process to start new groups, but that means the new groups will mostly be made up of new quilters, not getting the help of experienced quilters who know all the ins and out's of the quild nor the help that the new quilters need from the experienced quilters. It would sure be nice if some of those in the groups would be willing to leave their established group to start a new one with the new people. I took on the job of refreshments to try to get to know people, but I spend most of the meeting in the kitchen setting up and cleaning up, missing most of the program. I'm kind of frustrated.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:06 PM

my experience has been similiar to ckcowl "very 'clique-ie'

Most are complimentary at show and tell, but they do tend to stick together.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 PM

I've never joined a guild because I'm terribly shy and meeting new people absolutely terrifies me. (I'm a disaster during open house at work every year but I'm working on it.) Maybe have a person or two (someone who is warm and friendly in a non-invasive way) adopt a new person and make them welcome, sit with them, etc. until they got to know some people. Also, if you have a website for your guild, make sure the tone of your site is welcoming. There's a big guild near where I live but I've never checked it out because the tone of their website is not very friendly.

BTW -- The church I've been going to has a quilting ministry on Wednesday nights and I'm going to try to go this week. Wish me luck as I try to meet new people without terror!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Quiltmania, that is a good way to start. Get involved with quilting people however and go with someone to a guild meeting.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:04 PM

One guild I know specifically excludes kids who quilt from the guild. My daughter, now 11, who has won awards in big machine quilting shows, cannot join that guild.

Our machine quilting guild, however, not only accepts junior members, they treat them as equals. They are full members, and pay full dues. They just have to have an adult 'sponsor'. We have two kids and they have been a great addition to the group.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:31 PM

So many ideas, so little time. I belong to two guilds. One meets at night and the other in the daytime. The daytime one is about the same size 90-100 members give or take a few. The daytime group is very laid back. We have a covered dish luncheon each meeting. Everyone is friendly and there are no "quilt" police. The evening group is differnt. When I first joined there were about 6 of us and we met in homes. Now there are 100+, it meets in the evening and most are working women. The mood is totally different. They don't want to change anything and there are definately "quilt Police". Things that were necessary when we were a very small group, like everyone entering a quilt in our show, participating in the BOM etc. etc. is no longer necessary with 100 members, Rules like you have to participate in the BOM for the next 6 months if you win. But are not eligable to win again until after that six months.DUH? No wonder there is low participation. The other problem is having members who make the mistake of volunteering to be saddled with the job for life. I could go on forever.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
I've never joined a guild because I'm terribly shy and meeting new people absolutely terrifies me. (I'm a disaster during open house at work every year but I'm working on it.) Maybe have a person or two (someone who is warm and friendly in a non-invasive way) adopt a new person and make them welcome, sit with them, etc. until they got to know some people. Also, if you have a website for your guild, make sure the tone of your site is welcoming. There's a big guild near where I live but I've never checked it out because the tone of their website is not very friendly.

BTW -- The church I've been going to has a quilting ministry on Wednesday nights and I'm going to try to go this week. Wish me luck as I try to meet new people without terror!
The church group sounds like a good start. Possibly some of the ladies you meet there belong to a guild, and you could go along with one of them to a meeting. I'm sure it's harder to join in when you are shy. Good luck. :thumbup: