Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive. >

Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive.

Suggestions to make quilt guilds more positive.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
One of my favorite guild meetings is mentor night. There are stations set up and experienced members teach something to the members at large. The time allows for visiting/watching 3 different lessons. I always learn SOMETHING! For me, I go to a meeting when the guest speaker interests me so my goal is met no matter what. I do not go to socialize -that's what the QB is for.
This is such a nice idea. As someone already mentioned, utilize the skills of your members.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:58 PM

MarieM,

Your guild sounds fantastic. I love the idea of monthly exchanges and round robins. Our guild is doing a monthly fabric exchange this year (10" squares) with civil war repros. We have a monthly get-together at a LQS to work on our Dear Jane quilts, and the civil war repro fabric is coming in very handy.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Minda, Have you joined in with the Jane Stickle group here on the board?
Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Minda, Have you joined in with the Jane Stickle group here on the board?
No I haven't, since I'm in a local Dear Jane group. We all work at different paces, but I try to keep ahead of the rest because I'm the one that teaches the blocks that people have problems with. Are you doing a Dear Jane? It is a big committment, but it never gets boring since every block is different.:D
Old 05-02-2010, 07:27 PM

I am working along with the board. We have a schedule and I am trying to keep up. We are shooting for 3 or 4 blocks and a triangle each week. Sometimes I get ahead, then I slip, but I haven't given up.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Roselady: If a new group of beginners in your guild gets started, how about asking one of the older members from one of the other groups to come and either spend a meeting talking with the beginners/new members or showing them some of the tips and tricks they don't yet know about quilting.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM

I'm very interested in this thread as I had some of the same feelings attending guild meetings. It will give me ideas to share with our guild as I have accepted being nominated for VP.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 AM

i just read something I thought was relevant, plus an idea for a quilt challenge.
"My sense is that this month our focus is on community/groups/organizations, those that we create and those to which we ‘gravitate’. We could also look at it from the opposite perspective: attraction…that which we pull towards us. Who do we draw towards us? Do they lift us up or put us down? Do we gravitate towards groups/organizations that make us feel better or deplete us of our energy?"
http://mandalaofthemonth.com/
Old 05-03-2010, 01:22 PM

Sounds like a wonderful group!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 AM

We have two groups through the local extension office. One meets at night and from what I have heard is more meeting oriented, they do not sew at their meetings, but they do work on projects. The other, the day group, meets from 10:00 to 4:00 on the third Friday, we sew, we talk, we help each other, we laugh alot, and WE SHARE. Oh, and we go on road trips. Just this past week we took the extension office van and drove to two shops, one LQS, and one that is primarily fabric. We also have UFO Days scheduled on the other Fridays. Of course, attendance is optional. I have never enjoyed a group so much. Since most of use shop at the same places and usually together, we frequently purhcase the same fabrics, we always share the extra piece that is needed. We are going to a quilt show, this coming Saturday and will have lunch and go to Hobby Lobby.

With all this, we ACTUALLY do finish numerous quilts and there is a little of each of us in every finished quilts. It is a fun group and we treat newbies like old friends. We have members from seveal surrounding counties. We are fortunate to have one of the best FCS Agents who joins us as often as her job permits.