Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suggestions needed for this fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
    I have this dirictional fabric an I'am wondering if any of you have suggestions for quilt patterns for it. Now hopefully I can load a picture or two!
    Cut into columns and add vertical strips of matching batiks. Sort of like a jelly roll race quilt.

Cu
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    As soon as I saw your fabric, I thought of this pattern:
    http://www.patchworktimes.com/patterns/peaches-dreams/
    make your frames different widths and twist and turn it - maybe make some smaller filler blocks with solid colors taken from the different flowers - it would make a spectacular quilt.

Please show us what you finally decide to do with this great piece of vintage fabric!
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

I am going to agree with those who say just add some borders. It is beautiful as it is. I did that with one fabric I couldn't cut. Let me see if I can find a picture. I was very pleased with the result and very pleased not to have cut my fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    I was going to say to cut it into vertical stripes and add something in between, but now that you say it's vintage, I wouldn't cut it at all. If you want to maintain the integrity of the piece, you might even consider a summer quilt and just add a back and binding, no quilting. I have a couple of vintage summer quilts from the 30s. The tops are pieced with just a backing and binding, no quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
    I have this dirictional fabric an I'am wondering if any of you have suggestions for quilt patterns for it. Now hopefully I can load a picture or two!
    Don't know how much you have, but I would use it as a back to a quilt, tabletop or wall hanging so you don't lose the pattern.

I also agree. Use it as it is and add a border. Nice fabric. Love the colors.

It would also be an awesome kalidoscope if you have enough yardage!

Not knowing the width of each floral rectangle is difficult to suggest but have you thought of a French Braid? Make sure you keep the flowers and if you have to cut the stems a bit it would be no great loss. Post pictures!!!!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Wow some great ideas here! Still not sure what I am going to do...and as the fabric has been around awhile, little over a year at my house, I am not going to cut it untill I am sure. I do know that there are 2 lenghts and that I need to find both before I can make up my mind. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    MisDixie

It is perfect as it is. I love it. Just add borders and quilt.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Beautiful fabric! Whatever you decide will be lovely.

Have you thought about trying a more modern look with random placement and wider white space in between the panels.
    Saw one on here done that way a bit ago that was really pretty. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t194903.html
    My vision with your fabric is not exactly like the way she did hers since your strips would be much more narrow, but it does give you another starting point for exercising your creativity.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would cut it in strips (carefully) and add a row of flying geese or pinwheels between.

That was aslo my first thought. leave it whole

Blog Entries
    I agree with maryb119, to me that would be the best use for the design of this fabric.
    TxCaRose

I say fussy cut
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

I agree with most above; leave as is and just add borders. It is really pretty and one can tell by the fabric that it is old. That gives it character. You will enjoy it as a whole cloth quilt, I think.

Again I see fabulous ideas

I would leave it alone and add borders. I'm afraid if you cut it up you'll be disappointe in losing such pretty fabric

I never really saw a quilt made whole cloth as you all are talking, rather than when using a panel. But man, I loveeeeeee Dina's quilt of the fabric with just borders added. I have some fabrics also that I think I will be doing this way because they are just too pretty to cut.
    Thanks for the photo Dina and for the thread and all the comments y'all. Hugs and smiles!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

It is great just like it is! Great work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2