Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for pattern to make simple quilt from men's shirts

How about a bow tie arrangement using the 10 min. tile method?

A 9 patch would be quick and easy we hope your bother get well soon. will be parying for you al

Blog Entries
    Please let us see a picture when you're done with it. Thanks all of you for the good post.

Cookie

Log cabin is always a good one for light and dark fabrics

Blog Entries
    How about a simple rail fence, using only three colors for each block. Maybe a snowball, or 4-patch with rectangles on all 4 sides. Bow tie, pinwheel.

Do look at www.quiltville.com. Bonnie has lots of scrappy type patterns. :)

Blog Entries
    How about an Ohio Star with the center and points using the shirt fabric?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    A 9 patch would be quick and easy we hope your bother get well soon. will be parying for you al
    ooohhh...how about the snowball and 9 patch....great pattern for using up "bits" of fabrics!

Not sure what the snowball looks like but it sounds difficult. I am going to decide tomorrow because I want to start/finish it this weekend. My brother has terminal lung cancer 9never smoked a day in his life!). He was very ill three weeks ago and we thought we were going to lose him but he was transferred to a wonderful hospital in Newcastle and they have treated him. We expect him to come home this weekend but are not sure what the future holds. I believe in miracles and everyday he is still with us is a miracle to me. Thanks so much to everyone for all the suggestions and also for prayers. Will post when I decide and hopefully will be able to show you all the finished product on Monday. Eileen

This is disappearing 9 patch I did with mens shirts. I think I did 3 of each color and cut them 5 1/2 sewed them in rows and then cut it in half and turned it and sewed together again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW! Just lots of nice ideas. Makes me wish I could make them all myself. :)

Quote Originally Posted by janell2009
    This is disappearing 9 patch I did with mens shirts. I think I did 3 of each color and cut them 5 1/2 sewed them in rows and then cut it in half and turned it and sewed together again.
    You will think I am totally stupid but cant quite work out how you did that. Did you sew together 9 5 1/2" squares? Then sew them into a 3 x 3 block? What did you do then? Thanks Eileen

I did a simple 9 patch out of my deceased husbands shirts for my grandson as a memory quilt.

I can't remember the pattern name though it is common, butI jusst recently used men's shirts to cut 6" squares, cut them in half diagonally, and then sewed back together a dark and a light piece. Sewed all squares together turned in the same direction. Saw one like this in Pottery Barn magazine. It was simple but definitely had the pieced quilt look; turned out great. My friend called it boats after the sailboats pattern.

Just saw the pattern on MaryStoaks avatar pic.

sew 9 "5 1/2" squares together...
    Then take that 9 patch square and cut it down the middle +
    vertical and horizontal.
    then you turn each of the now 4 blocks. sew them back together.. and
    the 9 patch disappears.. ehhehhehehe
    fun to play with how you can put the 4 pieces together and get a different look.

(I just used the size of 5 1/2 because that is the size of square ruler I owned and it fit on the shirt fronts the best of what I had) It makes a large block so it will go fast, I think the block ends out about 15 3/4 inches square)

If there are a lot of stripes and plaids, a split rail is always pretty easy

How about the 10 minute block? If you choose the fabric care-fully, it will look like mens' bowties on shirt fabric!
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Or this!!Same shirt fabrics!

OOOOOH, I really like this idea!!!! So simple but very graphic!

Quote Originally Posted by cannyquilter
    Not sure what the snowball looks like but it sounds difficult. I am going to decide tomorrow because I want to start/finish it this weekend. My brother has terminal lung cancer 9never smoked a day in his life!). He was very ill three weeks ago and we thought we were going to lose him but he was transferred to a wonderful hospital in Newcastle and they have treated him. We expect him to come home this weekend but are not sure what the future holds. I believe in miracles and everyday he is still with us is a miracle to me. Thanks so much to everyone for all the suggestions and also for prayers. Will post when I decide and hopefully will be able to show you all the finished product on Monday. Eileen
    Snowball is easy. Cut 6 1/2" squares of fabrics and then four 2 1/2 squares for each 6 1/2 square. Sew the small squares onto the corners of the large square diagonally so the large square becomes an octagon with differently colored corners. Very easy, very fast and a great scrappy quilt.

Agreed, simple 4 patch, but include pieces from the front with the pockets. He could put things in the pockets. :)

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    ooohhh...how about the snowball and 9 patch....great pattern for using up "bits" of fabrics!
    A snowball block is one of the easiest you can do. Just think of a square with a triangle in each corner. Here is a pictures of one in men's shirtings I quilted for a friend. Don't forget to show us a picture when you decide what you will make!

whole quilt
    Name:  Attachment-193411.jpe
Views: 609
Size:  33.6 KB

close up of the blocks
    Name:  Attachment-193412.jpe
Views: 208
Size:  26.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    A snowball block is one of the easiest you can do. Just think of a square with a triangle in each corner. Here is a pictures of one in men's shirtings I quilted for a friend. Don't forget to show us a picture when you decide what you will make!
    Thanks for showing me how to do the snowball. Will def post when I decide and also when it is made.

Hillary I really like your colors in this quilt. I'm in the process of starting one using this pattern

Hillary I really like your colors in this quilt. I'm in the process of starting one using this pattern

how about looking on quiltville.com
    Bonnie K. Hunter has LOTS of free patterns, and she uses mens shirts. I've done her patterns, but with regular fabric.

WARNING-this site is addictive!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast