Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions please >

Suggestions please

Suggestions please

Old 09-25-2017, 06:54 AM

Location: Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana
Default Suggestions please

I am looking to buy a straight stitch quilting machine. I have done some checking online. The 3 I am looking at are...Juki TL‑2000Qi the Juki TL-2010Qi and the Brother PQ1500SL or PRW. My question is for anyone having one of these machines are what you like and don't like. I know the Juki's have speed control and the Brother does not. Also the Brother has different levels for the feed dogs and the Juki only has up or down. Is that a big thing? I was told that the even feed/walking foot on the brother is a little clunky/noisy. Can anyone tell me how the Juki's is? I can't seem to find out the difference between the 2 Juki's. But also if anyone has a different machine with the bigger throat/workspace like these machines what is your suggestion on them?
Thanks all.

Last edited by ChrisD; 09-25-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 AM

I have the Juki TL2010 and I love it. I use it now mostly for piecing as I bought a sit down longarm.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:27 AM

Location: Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana

catsden have you used the easyfeed/walking foot? If so is it loud?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 AM

I have the PQ-1500SL, purchased from Amazon. I have not used the other models you listed. I am so happy with this model! That being said, my understanding is that all of these models are quite similar so depending on what features you're looking for, you're likely to be very happy with whatever model you choose. I also own another Brother (the CS-6000i - which for anyone looking for an affordable beginner/take to classes machine, i love this little guy!) so the power cords/pedals/misc accessories are interchangeable. The deciding factors for me were:
1) Price: The 1500 was definitely more in my budget range, so the TL-2010 was a tough sell for me right off the bat.
2) Accessories: The 1500 comes with everything I use regularly: walking foot, free motion foot, 1/4" foot, knee lift, large tabletop add on table, thread cutter, needle down (though not a button for needle up - you have to crank it manually)
3) Harp space: I haven't read the exact specs on the other models, but the 1500 is plenty large enough to do basic FMQ (I've done up to queen size). I assume all the models are roughly similar.
4) Adjustable feed dogs: I like this feature. I don't know how often you sew some other fabrics (faux fur, interior decorating fabrics, clothing fabrics, etc.) but I found it to be a lot more helpful than I was expecting. I also like the pin-feed feature, I'm not sure if the other models you list have that.
5) Speed control: I don't really miss it. I find the foot pedal is plenty responsive.

I have no regrets! Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll be thrilled, they all sound like great models.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 AM

I'm squarely in the PQ1500 fan base. I own 7 machines and I told my husband if something happened to the 1500, I wouldn't look twice at my "backup" machines, I'd buy another 1500 in a heartbeat. I LOVE this machine. It does have speed control; the exact same speed control that your car has. You mash the pedal harder, it goes faster. It's that simple.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 AM

I have the Juki 2010. I think the difference between the 2000 and the 2010 is speed control. Personally, I was willing to spend the extra for that feature and am glad that I did. I don't quilt on it too much, but recently did a toddler size quilt using the walking foot, and I thought it was just fine. I have a cabinet to set my machine into, so switching from one to another is a little bit of an ordeal, so usually quilt on my Crescendo. I do love that Juki though, and use it a lot.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:10 AM

I have the PQ1500 and like it. It isn't that old but I had to take it in b/c the shuttle mechanism inside the machine filled up with lint. I have quilted so many double- & queen-size tops so I guess the lint built up fast. I had at least 25 tops waiting to be quilted and was overwhelmed as my small machine made quilting large tops so difficult. The throat area was the reason I bought the 1500 and I do not regret it. Quilt tops got quilted in record time. The machine takes a bit of getting used to but once that's down, it's full steam ahead...at least it was for me.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:03 PM

I love Juki TL2010Q, love everything about this sewing machine. I do piecing and fmq on it, even queen size quilts, did not try King size yet but I try not to make that size. Sometimes I forget to lower the feed dogs and seems not to make any difference in my quilting. Love the thread cutter, too! hope that this helps.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I have the Juki TL 2010Q and it's one solid machine! I bought it for FMQ and I've already improved. I love this machine. The only negative, and it's very small, is the needle threader takes a bit of practice. But other than that it's a wonderful machine.
Good luck with whatever you get!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:30 PM

In July I tested the Brother 1500, the Juki TL2010 and the Juki TL2200qvp mini which is the newest Juki TL version available. It's often confused with a similar named Juki long arm machine but it's an upgraded version of the TL2010.

I liked the Juki's over the brother - the speed control was a feature that I preferred on the Jukis but it really boiled down to the Juki's just "felt better" to me.

In the end I bought the newest Juki TL2200qvp mini. I was told the motor is stronger (which wasn't noticeable or important) but for $100 more than the 2010 it came with several feet and the walking foot w/guide. The only two add'l optional feet (not included with the 2200) is the Echo Foot and the Ruler Foot.

In the end, I liked the Juki's better and for under $1,000 I got the best TL with all but two feet included.

Ultimately, you can't go wrong with any of the machines you're looking at - I think they all are wonderful! Good Luck!