Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions please... >

Suggestions please...

Suggestions please...

Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 AM

My LQS has a monthly block lotto. She supplies a focus fabric and a pattern, we supply coordinating fabrics and $.50 per block that we want to do. She has a basket of coordinating fat quarters right by the patterns so people can pick up what they need if they don't want to shop their stash or have problems figuring out which fabrics go with which. She puts out the block on the first of every month and your block is due back before the end of the month. When you bring in your completed block, the block is displayed (makers name on the back) and your name is put in a jar from which the name of the winner of all the blocks is drawn at the end of the month. Of course, the winner will need the focus fabric for sashing, borders, binding, batting and backing...all to be purchased from the LQS!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

helpful assistants, cheaper and better range of goods -----my largish Q/S charges almost twice as much for batting than I can buy online .
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 PM

A lot of women at imitated by the words QUILT SHOP..... it means $$$$$$$. I've tried to get my friend to go to my sister in law's shop in another state. All she can think abt is $$$$. There are so many cute small things a woman can buy and make that they probably would buy materials at a quilt shop. $40.00 is different than $400.00 for a quilt: if you can get a group in it adds up. I do not have a lot of money, yet, I'm attracted to the materials and patterns or, once I go into the shop. A yard here and there helps the store. Just need a calling card. With the price of cotton going up, that means the quilt stores have to pay more, so when we say sell cheaper, there would be no hope of selling at price. maybe if someone buys a certain amout of yardage, then give a sale of 10%-20% ??? classes and a drawing card :) good luck you quilt shops out there. I guess enough to keep your doors open and hang in there. prayerfully things will get better. :)
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 AM

Sometimes I go into a LQS more for the friendliness as much as for the merchandise. I always buy more than I went in for if the clerks are friendly.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by judi wess
Sometimes I go into a LQS more for the friendliness as much as for the merchandise. I always buy more than I went in for if the clerks are friendly.
This is so absolutely true! Diane/Wyoming
Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by judi wess
Absolutely! And don't forget the guys...they have had horrendous experiences in some quilt shops! I find their insight on quilts to be awesome!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 AM

One of the quilt shops near me has specials once a month. Like in February, all pink or red fabric is on special. March is greens for St Patrick's Day. April is yellow florals( for spring). Also you get a one time discount on the night you are taking a class for class supplies. Jan
Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Just cam back my LQS. I went to see how to make clothes line baskets. My HUsband had been off a few hours and took me. He went to the sofa in the back and listened to oldies but goodies and slept. Everyone who works there came down tot he classroom to tell he was doing fine and snoring. Hugs are awesome there too. Somethings you just can't put a price on.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Sadismae, Why not suggest two people to bring lunch or dinner and the next time someone else bring food.I think that would better than chargeing $20. We do this and it works out fine. A Sassy Scrapper-Carolyn T in Texas
Old 01-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Great Customer service will keep them coming back and inviting others to join them.

Treating EVERY customer the same no matter if they spend a thousand dollars at a time or just a few dollars. Some shop owners are a bit snobbish to some customers which hurts them in the short and long run. If you treat customers right they will come back.
ditto ditto ditto