Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions please... >

Suggestions please...

Suggestions please...

Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 AM

Great customer service and making their customers feel like family. I used to work in a fabric store and after I moved on I noticed how poor the customer service was in other stores. It drives me crazy when I ask a clerk for an item and he/she points off in some direction and says "It's over there".
Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 AM

I go the the LQS once a month because of the block of the month she teaches us how to make it. And then ofcouse after that everyone buys notion that you need for the block or checks out the fabric
Old 01-11-2011, 05:55 AM

My LQS is offering a stash BOM. You had to make a $10 purchase the first month on anything in the shop to get started. The first few days of each month you bring in you completed block from the previous month and get the pattern for the next month. They have the blocks from the previous month displayed all over the shop each with the quilters name on it. Get people into the shop every month.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by gizzy1158
Originally Posted by Tropical
I was in one of my LQS last week and when I asked if they ever have sales, the young woman working there told me with a slight attitude that no they don't because the fabric will sell, anyway. They don't need sales to sell it. I thought Well, Ok. Maybe I really want to go to the other LQS where they do have sales and some fabric that is always
$5.99 a yard and one color a month that is 25% off all month. Realistically, I know I won't quit shopping there because I love some of the fabrics and I can only purchase so much a month and so I have to go back and get more of what I need for a specific quilt.
What a horrible attitude in that shop! I just started a fabric shop alittle over a year ago. Thank you all very much for all of the suggestions! I will be taking them into consideration in my shop.
Where is your shop located?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 AM

well I've only been quilting 2 years and most of my fabric has been bought online. It all boils down to price for me. I want to support the LQS but when they charge $10 a yard for fabric that can be bought online for $7-8 its hard. I love the customer support they have, they have sew-ins though I've not been to one. Another thing is I always feel slightly intimidated....I think its just me but I know that everyone in there has just gotta be a better quilter than I am....and is wondering why in the world I picked that fabric...lol!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Good luck you and your new shop
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 AM

If a LQS is lucky enough to have someone to donate their time to teach, I think it would be a great idea to offer free classes. Like it was said before then the students can buy supplies supporting the shop. In todays economy when faced with the choice of having to pay for the class and buy materials too, sometimes some of us can't do both. So if there is a free class that is a nice option.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 AM

I agree with sew-ins. I know a quilt shop that has something going all the time. Everyday and every Saturday. The owners are passionate about quilting and it shows. They sponsor two quilt retreats a year and there is a waiting list. They are doing well and they are located in a town of 500 people. Ladies love to get together and sew and chat.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 AM

MORE COMPETITIVE PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM

I've been reading all the replies with interest as I too have a newer shop. I completely agree that friendly, knowledgeable customer service is critical. And all the other ideas for getting customers into the shop are great, too - free classes and demos and sew-ins and other special events.

well I've only been quilting 2 years and most of my fabric has been bought online. It all boils down to price for me. I want to support the LQS but when they charge $10 a yard for fabric that can be bought online for $7-8 its hard. I love the customer support they have........
MORE COMPETITIVE PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do keep in mind that all of the things you like best about your LQS are things that takes the shop owner a lot of time and money to accomplish. Which is why a shop that is offering all this cannot charge the same lower prices as you find online or at one of the chain stores.

I don't know about where you are, but in my area neither JoAnns or Walmart (nor online shops!) has a classroom area. They don't serve me snacks when I come to shop. They don't offer helpful tips and demos. They don't make a new yardage/cutting chart for me when I want to take a pattern that only lists lap size and make it into a queen size. They don't help me figure out why my borders aren't lying flat, or how to put binding on. ;)

A good LQS will do this for you. Isn't it worth a few extra dollars now and then, over what you would pay online or at a chain store, to be sure you have these services available to you?

I'm really enjoying this thread, keep the good ideas coming!!