Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for a quilt using 52 yards of different fabric!!! >

Suggestions for a quilt using 52 yards of different fabric!!!

Suggestions for a quilt using 52 yards of different fabric!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
52 yards? that's gonna have to be a mighty BIG quilt!!! LOL
I agree. You could make 5 Queen size quilts with that much fabric. Might want her to buy a quarter of a yard instead of a whole yard.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 AM

What a great idea. I would go for a small block that needed a light fabric and a dark fabric. And then make lots of them. Maybe this Boxing Day pattern or Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Chain.
http://www.favequilts.com/Throws-and...rom-Martingale
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/...decisions.html
http://www.quiltmaker.com/articles/Carolina_Chain
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 AM

"The 1600 quilts use 2 1/2 inch strips sewn together. You could change the size to be 1 1/2 inch so that each would finish at 1 inch, so 52 would only be 52 inches long. This would be fun, because you could use the strips in the same order that she is using them. Even more fun, would be to print several of the month's pic on fabric and include them in the quilt. Or just a first pic and then one at a year and then surround them with the strips. This is such a great opportunity for both of you to document the first year. It will be neat if she includes fabrics for the holidays or seasons of the year so that you get a real timeline feel with the quilt. "

I just love Barb's idea! You could do a series of quilts that might cover ages 1-3 months, 4-6 months, etc.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:53 AM

I just made a propeller quilt and each block takes 4 different fabrics and the blocks measure 10 inches. I made mine using 12 blocks and then a different fabric for the sashing between the blocks. So that's 49 different fabrics in one quilt. You could use the other 3 fabrics as backing and another narrow sashing and then the binding. Voila all 52 in one quilt.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 PM

Wow thanks everyone for all these amazing suggestions! Just to clarify my daughter is buying the fabric and so far Hobby Lobby has been cheapest for her. She did the same thing with her first baby and I made a scrappy postage stamp type quilt but wasn't really happy with how that one turned out. I have lots of fabric left and will make him another quilt some day as well.

I was hoping to make this one no quite so scrappy. Right now I'm leaning towards a dresden. I made my daughter a king size dresden and swore I'd never make anything that big again but I've had some more experience and think I can handle it better this time.

But again thanks so much! You all are just amazing and generous with your time! I'll keep you posted and try to post some pics.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 PM

How would I print a photo for the quilt? I'm not familiar with that process. Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:30 PM

You just need a color inkjet printer & you can do it yourself at home. You can print right on a solid fabric with this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...photo%20fabric
or you can print an iron-on decal that you can then press onto a 2nd fabric with this:
http://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-Fu...t+photo+fabric

I suppose you could do that with the first product & some fusible web, but I would recommend just going with the 2nd product if that's your plan. There are different brands & larger quantity bundles available. You want to make sure to get the right one for either light or dark colored fabrics. Also, read the description & reviews carefully as some hold up much better in the wash than others. I haven't done it myself yet personally (planning to do one for my mom for Christmas), but I think June Tailor's brand is a good one. Maybe others could confirm.

I love the idea of putting the baby's photos in the block each month. So adorable. Unfortunately, the decent printable photo fabrics aren't cheap, so unless you can manage to get more than one photo per 8.5x11" sheet, it could easily run you $40-50.

If you don't own an InkJet & can't hook up with a friend who has one every month or two, you can also take your photos over to a local print shop. Many times they are able to print on fabric for you. I know fabric designers talk about having done that to print a sample to send to fabric manufacturers & my sister found a local print shop by her that did that, but if you don't have any in your area, you can do it online with Spoonflower.

Last edited by Bree123; 08-31-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 AM

What an adorable idea. Perhaps she could use one of the fabrics for one week each month,maybe the first week. This would aid you in making the quilt and give a point of reference of growth. It would be great if she could coordinate with a stuffed animal or toy. I did a photo a month with each of my boys then took their outfits to make a quilt.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:26 AM

Have you looked at the Take Five books and you tube?