Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for Visiting Missouri Star Quilt area >

Suggestions for Visiting Missouri Star Quilt area

Suggestions for Visiting Missouri Star Quilt area

Old 07-08-2018, 12:31 PM

Just read the post before mine about Angela Walters and her shop in Liberty. I did not know about that and I love her!

Gee, I guess I will just have to plan on making another trip back to visit her shop. Yeah, just twist my arm on that one!
Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM

It's only 45 minutes away....just saying....

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
Just read the post before mine about Angela Walters and her shop in Liberty. I did not know about that and I love her!

Gee, I guess I will just have to plan on making another trip back to visit her shop. Yeah, just twist my arm on that one!
Old 07-09-2018, 04:25 AM

I am so jealous. I would love to go. Have fun.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 AM

Maybe one day I'll get to go too; sounds like my kind of place.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM

I may be in the minority here. I did not care for the layout of the stores. With each kind of fabric in a different shop I found it difficult to put together what I wanted for my pattern. You had to buy one fabric and carry it around to the other shops to see what you wanted to go with it. There was no way to lay them all out together to make a choice or see what you liked best. I had just come from Hancock's in Paducah where I had a cart full that I kept "testing" for color and pattern coordination. Loved all the stores and supplies that they had and bought a lot of items. Liked the orientation store and one stop ID/Passport so be sure to stop there first. Bought some fabric but not for any specific project. Love Jenny, her tuts and Block.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
A great side trip is Independence, MO, home of Harry S Truman. A wonderful town full of all kinds of treasures.
Independence was a nice place to visit. Also the Acadia Museum isn't too far away from there, in Kansas City, but I forgot on which side of the river. The Acadia is a ship that went down in the Missouri River in 1856. They found it about 10-15 years ago, fully stocked with merchandise for the pioneers. The Museum is wonderful.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM

I went to MSQC this past spring and loved it. The service is so good and friendly. The stores are huge, bright, clean, well organized. Eye candy everywhere, but I never perceived "clutter"--probably because there is so much floor space and wall space that everything can be spread out neatly.

Right in Hamilton are a few little places to eat--a Subway, a BBQ place, maybe something else? We only ate lunch.
I bought a little the first day, and more the next. Plenty of free parking, quiet little town, I was more than happy to support their business.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Independence was a nice place to visit. Also the Acadia Museum isn't too far away from there, in Kansas City, but I forgot on which side of the river. The Acadia is a ship that went down in the Missouri River in 1856. They found it about 10-15 years ago, fully stocked with merchandise for the pioneers. The Museum is wonderful.
it's the Steamboat Arabia Museum, which is located in the KCMO River Market. A fun thing to do is to ride the street car from the Union Station to the River Market (weekends are very busy though) and the Arabia Museum is right there. The street car is free and a nice way to get a view of downtown KC.
Been to MSQC a few times--I think that I do better when I go with at least a little list of what I'm wanting--I always get more than that of course, but it helps me from being too overwhelmed. Wear comfy shoes! And if you are flying, definitely have them ship stuff home. There is a very nice quilt shop in Cameron, MO too, plus of course Angela Walters in Liberty (but she will be at our guild meeting on Aug. 4!) Also, someone mentioned traveling to the area with her husband for a train conference. Which likely means Union Station visit and be sure to go to the National WWI Museum at Liberty Memorial just up the hill.

For those of you contemplating a trip to the KC area, think seriously about mid-June 2019 when the biannual KC Regional Quilt Fest (3 days, Overland Park Convention Center) It's a biggie--last one in 2017 drew about 9,000 visitors, nationally famous quilts, 35 vendors (and about that many on the wait list) and is all put together by 16 area guilds instead of a corporation. See ya there!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:04 AM

Missouri Star is wonderful! There's also a great little shop in Cameron, Mo. (only 14 miles away from Hamilton).
Old 07-11-2018, 04:02 PM

Been there twice on shop hops have always stayed in Cameron at the Comfort Inn it also has free breakfast and is good also a workshop there