Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sun Bonnet Sue each month of the year...wallhangings. No stash so....

www.nancysnotions.com has a lot of fat quarter collections at a reasonable price.
    Kittykatz
    Everyone you meet comes with baggage. Find someone who loves you enough to unpack. Anonymous

I have brought fat quarters from JoAnn before and if you wait for a sale they are $1.29 each and before buying check the material as there are lots of thin fat quarters which you do not want. I think I would buy the 1\8 or1/4 yd depending on the amount of fabric you need, when they have the calico's on sale because their regular prices run $4.99 up to $12 yd. Hope you signed up for their flyers. Good luck.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but don't forget to check the remnant bin at JoAnn's! Remnants are half off and that's half off whatever the current price on the fabric is. If the fabric is regular $9.99 and is on sale for 30% off, the remnant would be $3.49/yd instead of $6.99/yard! Well worth a check if you're in there anyway!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I love to make quilts from old scraps, when I am running low on good scraps I often go to some local thrift stores and purchase articles of clothing. I have found good quality material in some of the more expensive clothes that are offered for less than $3 per item. I cut off the buttons and take out the zippers to use for other craft projects, then cut away on making whatever pieces of I need for my current projects. I like using this material because it is already shrunk, usually doesn't "bleed" and the gently worn look is often just what I am looking for. One other tip I will pass along, when you are cutting up old jeans to use for projects I cut close to all the seams to make some really strong "strings/ropes" for other projects. They are very handy in the garden to tie up plants without stressing them. I have found multiple uses for these jean-ropes. Even my kids know to come to momma for some jean-ropes for their projects.

I live in a remote part of Wyoming, so shopping for fabric at Joanns or Hancock's is often not an option. So when I visit my daughter in Saint Joseph, Missouri I stock up on lots of fabric. However, there are lots of used clothing stores near my home so I use old clothes to get my scraps for my quilts. I have also used old wedding dresses to have a stash of quality satin, lace, brocade, etc. So many ways to have stashes of material and or scraps. Going to a fabric store is an adventure I always savor and enjoy. Never rush through the store....just take your time....visualize your end results....you will be inspired while there and look forward to your next great adventure.

My 20% email from Joanns was from now until Saturday. I used mine yesterday

I agree with an earlier poster, fat quarters, charms, and layer cakes even jelly rolls will get you the variety you need to work with these patterns. Dont overlook thrift shops as sources of fabrics or even clothing that can be cut up. I worked on a log cabin for my son for Christmas and used denim as well as a couple of his old shirts that were primarily blue plaids and checks to round out my blocks. Have fun and don't stress!
    pat design

Another hint: Keep an eye on the remnants at Joann's as they are half price. I always check them out and will buy them if I can afford it, just to have options in bigger scraps.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Sunbonnet sue is fun to make. There are so many versions, there is one that is called the Demise of Sunbonne Sue, you can probably google it. It's a little scary :P-)
    Charlie DiSante

Sue is a fun quilt to make. Have fun and do post for scraps - lots of us have pieces we don't have any other use for and will be happy to share with you. Be sure to post the pictures of your progress.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Don't worry about asking JoAnn's fabric cutters for 1/4 yd of fabric from a lot of bolts. I do it all the time and enjoy discussing what the customer is making. Not only do I get to know our customers, but I get quilting tips and ideas.

I'd cut off the bolt,too. Sometimes you need the shape of a fat quarter to get the size of pieces the patterns call for, so I get 1/3 yd and that usually gives enough extra if a pattern calls for fat quarters. It does cost money and I try to be frugal if I can, but it's not easy!!
    Last edited by jillnjo; 01-27-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    jillnjo

I once apologized to the clerk for bringing her a cartfull of bolts to cut quarter and half yards from. She told me not to worry, she didn't mind at all. She said it's all the same for her if she cuts 15 bolts for one person or 1 bolt for 15 people. Then she said, "I'm going to be here cutting no matter what!" and laughed. She was very nice.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

You will love making a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. The patriotic one you made sounds outstanding. Please post a photograph of it when you finish. It is a great idea.

Word of warning about the muslin! I made the foolish mistake of making a whole quilt top using the muslin I had on hand. But then I got to wondering where I got it and whether it was a "cheapie" of not. So I washed and dried some of the leftover fabric. ARGGGHH. The square came out more than half an inch smaller than when I started and had wrinkles that wouldn't come out. I'm having to take apart and remake the whole top using better muslin. So be sure to wash and dry whatever muslin you have. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it turns out to be just fine.

I have never had a problem buying an eight of a yd. Now at some quilt shops when it is on sale they say min is a yard.
    Fran
    http://franciesboutique.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I have had JoAnn's cut lots of pieces in 1/8 yds. they didn't mind but I did go when they weren't too busy. That's what they are there for to sell fabric both little and big pieces.
    Quilting in the Desert

if you get on the Jo annes mailing list wich can take a month or two you will get a 40 0/0 off coupon every month good ONLY on none sale items. That is when I get the high price stuff. Here in our area we have a Dollar Tree store. We buy a few Cheapy magnifiying glasses to keep in our bags and sewing room. Then when we break then,like sitting on the bec ause we cant see them or lose them we are not hear broken over the lose.
    Jo annes also has a magnifier to place on your sewing machine . A hand free around your neck and stand alone one. I have also found them on line at Jo-annes with free shipping and 40 0/0 off
    Christina(Chrissy)

dd
    If you belong to a quilt guild, JoAnns also give another 10% off, even the sale prices.

Dillsburg is only about 1 hr away from me. Let me know if you want to meet in Gettysburg or something like that and I can give you some of my scraps. There is a nice fabric store in Gettysburg.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaM49 View Post
    Since I am a fairly new quilter...have sewn though forever but got rid of all extra fabric. So...I ordered this book from amazon (and 2 other books) and they came yesterday. I was so excited but after looking through the book at each month's project I thought...how the heck am I going to make all of these since I don't have anywhere near enough stash. For example...one month shows Sue at the beach so the square background fabric has to look like sand. Then she is wearing a sandle so her exposed foot is a darker tan. Dresses are one piece of fabric but then trim and a pocket of another fabric. Borders and blocks are different colors and then some of them have different small flowers. I could go on and on...but I think you can "get" what I mean. So much different fabric for one small wallhanging. So...off to Joann's today to get other supplies and fabric for a table runner. I kept looking at all of the fat quarters but didn't buy any today. Just wondering if you think that would be the way to go...at $1.99 each. I would hate to think about taking like 15 bolts of fabric to the cutting counter and saying that I want 1/4 yd. of each. They would be cursing me under their breath...lol.

Did get a deal on muslin...$1.99 a yard so I bought all that was on the bolt...almost 9 yds.

Off now to try to finish the binding on my patriotic quilt as a tribute to my deceased father who was a WWII vet and fought in all major battles against Germany. I'm going to attach his ribbons and medals to it and then once I attach the hanger on the back I am going to hang it on the inside of our front door using a wreath hanger. Then I will hang his dog tags over the hanger. (I sure used the word hang and hanger a lot...lol)
    Hi, Frist I used to work at JoAnns and trust me its nothing to have 1/4 yards cut. The girls all over USA are used to it even1/8th yards so don't worry!!! Also Walmarts have their fat quarters for(8-1.27ea.)
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2