Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sunbeam Mini Iron >

Sunbeam Mini Iron

Sunbeam Mini Iron

Old 10-21-2016, 03:13 AM

I agree with the others, you may find that Sunbeam will replace it if you haven't had it very long...
Old 10-21-2016, 06:01 AM

I have a great little iron I bought about a year ago and if I recall right, it was about in the $9 to$10 range. It heats up immediately and has a stat that cycles it to save energy, has a metal soleplate, is so light that I hardly notice it when I pick it up. It is a Rival and I bought it at Wally.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:29 AM

And what is up with that? I went there with a coupon to buy an iron a few months ago and found that out. So I bought the Sunbeam one on Amazon. I have had it for several months, and I just checked the soleplate - fine so far!

Rennie

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 View Post
I really like my Rowenta travel iron - actually have 2. My friend has one but it leaks - not a problem for me as I never use water in any iron. It gets nice and not pretty fast. The last one I bought a few years ago I used a coupon at Bes Bath & Beyond. Joann's won't let you use a coupon on any iron.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

Last edited by Rennie; 10-21-2016 at 06:30 AM. Reason: (to add info)
Old 10-22-2016, 09:23 AM
mac

I don't know what it is about irons, but lately there have been irons dying left and right around me, including mine. I sew at the Senior Center and one lady's small Rowenta travel iron started smelling funny and the next thing that happened was it started oozing out green slime and sort of blew up with a little puff of green smoke. I have no idea what the green slime was about. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I purchased a Precise Press and the first time I used it the iron barely got hot, had to take that back to JoAnn's.

Another friend that sits across from me had her iron suddenly lose all of its water, making a mess on the table where she was ironing. Someone yelled, "maybe it going to have a baby."

I've had a number of irons over the past ten years die out on me, too. Maybe they are just not making irons like they used to or maybe we are just using them too much. Whatever...
Old 10-22-2016, 11:37 AM

I used up a Black and Decker travel iron a few years ago and wanted the same one to replace it as it folds at the handle to transport flat. I couldn't find it at any store and finally found the same one at a thrift store. It has given me no problems so I hope to use it for the same 15 or more years that i had the first one. Mine just quit but you guys have some crazy stories out there lol.

Last edited by quiltingbuddy; 10-22-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: edited to fix spelling error: quilt to quit, habit I guess to put an "l" in quit
Old 10-22-2016, 05:03 PM

I found some "vintage" sunny Susan and a few others. Does anyone here use these?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:01 AM

LOL. I bought a compact, mini Toastmaster yellow antique iron at an estate sale about 6 years ago for $5. Just a plain iron, no steam but still works beautifully. It even has the cloth covered cord which is in excellent condition. Also, a friend gave me her mother's little yellow GE compact steam iron. I had to clean it, but it also works great. It had a specific name but I forget what it is. Sometimes new is not better! Both are great for classes and sewing away from home.