Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Superior Threads sold!? >

Superior Threads sold!?

Superior Threads sold!?

Old 01-11-2024, 06:33 PM

I think it was when the sale happened that Connecting Threads thread started to have less lint. It definitely has much less than it used to.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:52 PM

This is good to know. I tried Connecting Threads several years ago and wasn't too impressed by it but it may have improved since then.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:44 AM

Bob Purcel's, owner, wife died over a year ago....that could have caused him to sell.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:53 AM

Yes, the Purcells sold it while the wife was battling cancer. Their suppliers still work with the original company, and knowing how Japanese firms work, I imagine they always will. Bob Purcell now owns YLI, another thread company.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:48 AM

They are going to be a Roads to California next week. I am going and they are one of the vendors I plan on going to for my longarm thread. It will remain to be seen what they have stocked and the pricing!
Old 01-12-2024, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
I wouldn't call it fretting...I would call it a case of "don't know what could happen since it's owned by an investment firm (and investment firms are known to sell companies) so we don't know what the future could hold and I hope to find another thread I like as much as Superior Threads just in case this happens" type of thing.
Lol semantics, I guess. Anyway - my point is: this event happened several years ago, Superior is still making thread, and I don't really see the benefits of worrying about something that hasn't happened.

Maybe a better question to ask is, what threads, other than Superior, do the rest of us use?

For longarming, I use Innovatech and Glide, in addition to Superior's King Tut, Bottom Line, and Microquilter. I don't much care for Aurifil, it seems to tangle easily and the tension is fiddly. It's also hard to locate in my area. I do know other quilters who swear by it.

For piecing, I almost exclusively use Bottom Line. If Superior ever quit making it, then I would look for a 40 wt poly thread elsewhere.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:07 AM

When I'm hand piecing I like to use Bottom Line 60wt. For quilting I prefer Superior's King Tut or YLI thread. I machine and at times hand quilt. Both my sewing machines like the Aurifil 50wt.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Lol semantics, I guess. Anyway - my point is: this event happened several years ago, Superior is still making thread, and I don't really see the benefits of worrying about something that hasn't happened.

Maybe a better question to ask is, what threads, other than Superior, do the rest of us use?

For longarming, I use Innovatech and Glide, in addition to Superior's King Tut, Bottom Line, and Microquilter. I don't much care for Aurifil, it seems to tangle easily and the tension is fiddly. It's also hard to locate in my area. I do know other quilters who swear by it.

For piecing, I almost exclusively use Bottom Line. If Superior ever quit making it, then I would look for a 40 wt poly thread elsewhere.
(I think you mean 60wt poly.) Look for Brothread and Simthread on Amazon in 60wt. I still have a large stock of Bottomline, but I'm running out of the colors I use for piecing, namely black, white, and grey. I bought some of the 60wt Simthread and can't tell the difference between that and Bottomline. And Simthread is about half the price. I've also tried their 40wt poly thread and I like it too.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:01 AM

You are correct Dunster, I meant 60 wt.
You know, I'd forgotten about Brothread, I remember reading about it a while back. Thanks for the tips!