Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Supplies for Beginning Hand Quilting >

Supplies for Beginning Hand Quilting

Supplies for Beginning Hand Quilting

Old 11-22-2015, 04:36 AM

I just started hand quilting. I use a regular thimble on my upper hand and a silicon/rubber thimble under the quilt.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes you have to try a product and see what works best for you.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:46 AM
mem

Genden said, "My favorite needle is Hiroshima Tulip betweens. These needles can be ordered from Hancocks of Paducah or Amazon. I have tried every needle there is and the H. tulip is so superior there is no comparison."

What size betweens do you use?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:12 AM

I am one that prefers Roxanne needles. Usually use a size 11 or 12 between. Get them from Colonial needle. Very good customer service, btw. I mostly use a hoop but it is not on a stand of any sort. I sit in a comfy side chair while quilting and wiggle about quite a bit changing position. I think a hoop on a lap or floor stand would just annoy me as I would need to be in a single position for a long period. I can quilt for hours as long as I can scritch around in my chair.

I use the Thimblelady thimble http://www.thimblelady.com/search-al...atured&page=10 in the stainless steel version. I started out with the plastic to see 1) if I liked that style thimble and 2) check for size. The sizing - using the website's instructions - have been perfect. With this thimble you push with the pad of your finger, not the tip. I find it much more comfortable.

I use any old handquilting thread as long as it is the color I want. JAF sells a brand 'Americana' that is quite heavy and limited colors but I have used it. Otherwise mainly Guttermann. I also use Thread Heaven conditioner vs beeswax. I like the results much better. I even use it on glazed threads as I feel it really helps with the tangling. Mainly for keeping your thread as tangle-free as possible, don't cut lengths more than about 12-18 inches. This helps.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:51 PM

Thank you all SOOOOO much for the tips. I think I will try both the H. Tulip & the Roxanne needles as I have heard such good things about the both (and I already have some JJ quilting needles that I have used in the past to fall back on, but I'm sure there are better choices for quilting). I currently push with the pad of my finger (or sometimes the side of my finger) for applique, hand sewing & the little bit of quilting I've done, so maybe I will try the ThimbleLady thimbles; they do seem like they would help with my tendonitis since they immobilize the knuckle joint.

I also have those silicon thimbles & like them okay. Thanks for the tip, NJ, about needing to move around. I will have to think on that. I have had lot of surgeries on my neck & back so trying to hold a hoop is nearly impossible for me. I have a cheapy HL quilting hoop & end up pulling my knees up & holding it with my knees at times because I don't have the strength to hold it up with one hand -- same thing with hand embroidery which I used to do a LOT of. I've thought about lap quilting, but I can't tilt my head down so it's hard to see. Perhaps I could get a magnifier & then I could try lap quilting, but I've been thinking about the TL hoop & I think it would still work okay if I put soft weights & had it out in front of me so I could work on my knees or crosslegged. I definitely agree that it's important to change positions so as not to get too stiff ... although, once I got my ergonomic set-up with my machine, I seem to do okay working in 20 minute increments there with 5-10 minute breaks in between. I really hope I can make this work. Some day if I get lucky enough have a husband & adopt children, I would like to hand quilt a special quilt for my husband & each of the kids. There just really is nothing more special than a hand quilted heirloom.

Thank you again to everyone for the wealth of information! I can't wait to get started on this next month. I'm sure I'll have more questions then, but I've definitely got enough to let "Santa" know what I'd like for Christmas.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mem View Post
Genden said, "My favorite needle is Hiroshima Tulip betweens. These needles can be ordered from Hancocks of Paducah or Amazon. I have tried every needle there is and the H. tulip is so superior there is no comparison."

What size betweens do you use?
I started out with size 10, but soon found I liked a size 12 better.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 PM

I have a Hintenburg hoop, which I love because it rotates in all directions. I have a 22" but I found I had to stretch too much and it hurt my back. I got the 18" hoop and like it much better. Check it out. The fact that it rotates really makes a difference. I like to use a clover thimble that has silicone on the sides and a deep metal top. I use this on my middle finger and, on my thumb, I use a soft silicone cot that is for FMQ but I like it for grasping the needles. I got it at JoAnns. I recently got the spoon for my underhand but haven't used it yet. Goggle spoon quilting for the YouTube link.