Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surely I'm not the only one?? >

Surely I'm not the only one??

Surely I'm not the only one??

Old 10-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I think people are surprised at exactly how much making a quilt would cost. I have never sat down and figured it out, but over the years, even buying fabric at great sale prices, it amounts to a lot. I'm especially weak when it come to fabric sales, etc., etc.; especially when shopping with my best friend who is an enabler. However, at the time I was working full time and quilting is far, far cheaper than therapy. That said, now that my DH and I are on Social Security, our resources are limited, but I have a good stash (which DH isn't happy about), but I've been making quilts, wall hangings, table runners, placemats, etc., etc. from that stash and only shopping for fabric when I need a certain color or I've run out of batting. I have been able to recoup a lot of the money spent on fabric by attending craft fairs, and, knock on wood, so far I've been fairly successful in making enough "mad money" so what I spend is all mine, which is a great feeling, especially on our limited budget. I'm addicted to fabric and quilting, so I doubt I'll ever stop.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:11 PM

It does add up,I just finished a quilt that's about 66 x 70 and just the backing was$27
Old 10-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
I can't even begin to tell you how many fun fabrics I've bought with a baby in mind that hasn't even been thought of yet!
Oh Donna, I love this one! LOL
Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 PM

I like to shop online at thousand of bolts. The prices are about half off. $3.95-$10.00.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 PM

I am trying to pin on the invoice onto the fabric that I purchased so that I can keep track of how much it cost me to make a certain quilt just to put it into my quilting diary, which helps me realize just how much each quilt I make cost. I am really surprised at how much they each have cost, not that I have made very many since I'm still just beginning but boy howdy to the costs add up. But it is a labor of love put into each one & someday many years from now I can tell someone about how much it will cost them for me to make...if I ever get to that point! Thanks again QB for all your advice & help.
Jeri
Old 10-21-2014, 09:56 PM

Maybe it's time to be introduced to Bonnie Hunter. Scrap Quilter. She's got 2 pages on Facebook.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 AM

I do not want to know what I spend on my fabrics. Entirely too much information. I want to enjoy, not feel guilty. I am also retiring in Dec so my fabric buys will slow down.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:13 AM

There are ways to keep costs down in quilting - you can shop only clearance tables, yard sales, thrift shops for your fabrics; you can salvage old clothes, etc. Batting can be another old blanket or quilt, like our foremothers did. A lady in my quilt guild buys inexpensive blankets at Costco that serve as both batting and backing for her quilts - they turn out really nice and cozy and it's cheaper than buying batting and backing. Maybe not technically a quilt since only 2 layers, but they're well-made and warm and the charities love them. (And happily, nobody in the guild goes all "quilt police" on her about it.)

I track and budget my hobby spending but it's one figure that covers everything - thread, rulers, fabric, machines, sewing room furniture & decor...all of it is one lump sum that is in my budget. I have a very strict budget for every dollar I earn...it's not particularly limiting but I stick to it like it's a law. As long as I stay within my budget I can buy whatever I want! If I want something big or want to go on a spending spree I just have to save up for it. Of course, that's barring unexpected expenses like the nearly thousand dollar dental bill I just got from replacing a bad crown - ouch! (literally!) I'll be on a fabric diet for a little while until I catch my savings account back up, LOL.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:20 AM

I signed up for a class recently at the LQS. Class was $25, fabric was $48, book was $25. So the bill was $98 before taxes and that does not include batting or backing. They wanted me to buy a $19 ruler but I said no. I had a coupon for Joann's and bought it for $7. This is for a lap quilt. Quilting is not cheap especially when the fabric is now $11-12 a yard. Not sure how many classes I will take in the future if I have to do it this way.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:03 AM

You are correct on the LQS cost - I would love to take a few classes at mine, but every time I check them out, the costs for the class plus the materials required make it unacceptable for my budget. I have found that YOUTUBE and these boards are my best teachers. I don't mind the costs of the materials if I can catch the sales. But with almost everything instruction-wise on YOUTUBE and the Internet, that is my goto!

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I signed up for a class recently at the LQS. Class was $25, fabric was $48, book was $25. So the bill was $98 before taxes and that does not include batting or backing. They wanted me to buy a $19 ruler but I said no. I had a coupon for Joann's and bought it for $7. This is for a lap quilt. Quilting is not cheap especially when the fabric is now $11-12 a yard. Not sure how many classes I will take in the future if I have to do it this way.