Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surely I'm not the only one?? >

Surely I'm not the only one??

Surely I'm not the only one??

Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM

Yep, been there done that! Sometimes we just go ahead and get what we need without thinking about the cost. If I've been away from the LQS for a few months it seems like sticker shock sets in rather quickly. I am fortunate enough to have a rather large stash and seldom have to buy everything. That really helps on the total cost of making a project. I've always bought a little extra for just in case and have been happy to either use it or add it to my stash. This hobby of ours is what it is, it can be highly costly or it can be rather frugal. We usually have a choice.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM

My Great Auntie, who is a MEGA SERIOUS QUILTER, loves Bonnie Hunter. She mentioned her to me just this week as someone I should check out.

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
Maybe it's time to be introduced to Bonnie Hunter. Scrap Quilter. She's got 2 pages on Facebook.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 AM

I love Bonnie Hunter. Her quilts are scrappy and intensive. She is not for the timid quilter but certainly is easy to learn from. She has a mystery quilt each year and gives step by step instructions that are wonderfully easy to follow. Check out her website Quiltville and see if it's something you'd like to do. It's really fun!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I have not seen much fabric suitable for quilts on the many garage sales I've been to over the past two or three years.

Or that much wonderful at the thrift shops, either.

Maybe you-all have better pickings where you live.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Yes it all adds up, but when you are trying to put together a quilt which 'says' what you want it to say, perhaps you needed to worth through the fabric choices and find what worked for you.
I have done the same thing, and that is pretty much the extent of my 'stash' so I don't feel bad about it. You shouldn't either. You want the quilt to leave your hands being something you are happy with, not something you settled for, right? It took what it ook to get there, so stop feeling guilty and enjoy how beautiful it is!
Old 10-22-2014, 02:09 PM

Wow! Doesn't sound bad to me. I spend lots on fabric and other stuff that I just can't live without. I have a terrible habit of buying online since I don't have a LQS close. It seems like I have a package every other day.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
You are correct on the LQS cost - I would love to take a few classes at mine, but every time I check them out, the costs for the class plus the materials required make it unacceptable for my budget. I have found that YOUTUBE and these boards are my best teachers. I don't mind the costs of the materials if I can catch the sales. But with almost everything instruction-wise on YOUTUBE and the Internet, that is my goto!
Craftsy will be great for you. You have the great quilter instructors that give you a class just like you were at a live workshop. The classes cost less then a new quilt book.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter has many different sites.
Her website is:http://quiltville.com/
Her Blog is: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/
Her Facebook Open Studio is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/291023511046957/
Her Quiltville Friends page is :https://www.facebook.com/QuiltvilleFriends
Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

yeah, I know what you mean.
We go by the dont tell, don't tell practice around here.
I'm saving lives, so I feel pretty good about the whole thing
Besides, if I totaled up dh's stuff, including his garage and tools? maybe lives
wouldn't be saved, so sometimes ignorance is bliss!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:11 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'm taking a Hunter's Star block quilt from a LQS and the cost of the class was $25. For just a lap quilt, the blue solid fabric was $5 yard and I have yards and yards of white, so I only need 2 7/8 yard of each color so it all just cost me right now $40. I'm not including the white since I already have it. BUT I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to the class and I get 14 MPG, so that's where my money goes. I really wanted to take this class and am willing to drive and pay for it. I really have to drive 1 1/2 to 3 hours to get to a good quilt shop. The one 1/2 hour away has a poor selection of fabric. I think she is going out of business. Nothing matches. Just leftover fabrics from fabric lines. So I have to do the driving or buy online, which I do, but I prefer to see the fabric in person. Makes a big difference!!!