Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
swap blocks question >

swap blocks question

swap blocks question

Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Default swap blocks question

I have been in several internet block swaps but have only recently started using the blocks in quilts. I am wondering, do you give credit to the other block makers on your label? Sometimes I think I want to just as a reminder but others times I think I don't because I don't really know the people anyway so why bother. One wall hanging I have that is made of swap blocks I do have the others ladies names on the label, but they were quilting bee friends.

What do you do?
Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 PM

Recently, at a quilt show the label (show label) stated the blocks were from a block exchange. Can't remember if it said the exchange was from a bee. They were beautiful, intricate blocks though. If it were me, I would only list names of people I wanted to remember, as you mentioned, especially if it is for your own use.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Can you just name the block exchange on your label without listing individual names.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:12 AM

You could say on your label something like, "Your name, with help from X, Y, and Z." I think it is nice to give some credit where due.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I made this quilt from a block swap here on the QB. By the time I had gotten around to actually making the quilt I had lost many of the little labels that contained the person's board name and some didn't even have their real name. In addition, I had only swaped 12 blocks (all 12" finished size) but as you can see by the quilt I used many more than that and mixed in some 6" blocks and 6 x 12" blocks so only about half the quilt contained swap blocks. The rest I made.
I did enter the quilt in a local show and I did mention on the entry "bio" that the quilt contained blocks from a swap done in an on line forum. I don't think I named the quilting board specifically and I did not name any of the peoples names. Other quilts I have seen at shows that were also from swaps only mentioned that it was from a block exchange or a swap. some named the organization, like the guild the swap was done in, but I have never seen all the names listed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567705[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails whole-quilt.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 05:24 AM

I think if you just mention Block Swap, the credit is given. Seems almost impossible to list everyone's names, especially since you only know them online. You could mention the group.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:00 AM

Great thoughts, thanks everyone, I think I will just mention that they are swap blocks and be done w/it.

Feline Fanatic your quilt is lovely, thank you for sharing.