Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sweet sixteen quilting machine >

Sweet sixteen quilting machine

Sweet sixteen quilting machine

Old 11-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Default Sweet sixteen quilting machine

I am wondering if anyone here has a sit down sweet sixteen quilting machine. I have been researching one for a while and as space is a little limited think this would fit my needs. Is it a good machine for a beginner and is it simple to use. I have watched you tube sessions and it looks relatively easy but I know you will tell me the truth. Thanks in anticipation.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM

Newjeepgreen, I've had my S-16 for about a year. It is very simple to use. I still suck at FMQ but I'm finishing my projects. Set up is simple, setting the tension is very easy. If you go to the search function at the top of the page and type in "Sweet-16" you should find a few previous threads. I haven't heard of any complaints from the ladies on here that have one. Good luck--it's a big decision but I'm glad I got mine.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

.............. and I am green with envy at what JanRN has!

NewJeepGreen ... I do not have a S16, though I looked long and hard at it in the spring and did some test drives. I was very impressed, and the only reason I did not purchase was that I felt I could not justify the cost for the amount of time it would sit idle, being that it is only a FMQ machine. Instead I upgraded to a larger machine than I had. The S16 is still on my want list ... when I find a Sugar Daddy, or discover I have the moola!

What impressed me was its simplicity of set up and use. That's because it is a one purpose machine. Also, the access to the HQ Customer Service was important to me. I did call them a few times to clarify info I was getting at the dealers and was quite impressed with their service. In the little quilting I did on it, I felt optimistic that we would become good friends fast ... rather than feeling as though it would be impossible to master the skill.

The best thing to do, is to go and try one IRL ... I'm sure you will be impressed.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM

My friend has had one for a long time and quilts all her projects on it. She did purchase the silicone sheet that goes on the bed for the fabric to move more easily. . . .I've never heard her complain about it.

I don't know what the price on the S16 is but there is another sit down machine called ?"tara"? not sure that is the correct name but I'm sure it starts with a "T".
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM

I have my S16 for a couple of years now, and I love it! My FMQ has improved significantly. More importantly it is so much easier to quilt! There are occasional complaints, generally about setting tension. I had no problem with it, but I have used vintage sewing machines and professional multineedle embroidery machines so adjusting tension was not a problem for me. There is a good Yahoo group with very helpful folks.

Note the Babylock Tiara is built by Handiquilter for Babylock. They are the same machine. There are also other sit down machines coming out now so choose one based on good support with your local dealer.

pam
Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 PM

The S16 is easy to set up. I have never regretted buying it.

Be advised though that learning how to do FMQ with it (as with any sit down or long arm machine) requires practice, practice, and then some more practice.

I have not had any issues with it and no tension problems. I did have very good training from my dealer.

I agree that the Yahoo group is a great resource to use.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Newjeepgreen, I've had my S-16 for about a year. It is very simple to use. I still suck at FMQ but I'm finishing my projects. Set up is simple, setting the tension is very easy. If you go to the search function at the top of the page and type in "Sweet-16" you should find a few previous threads. I haven't heard of any complaints from the ladies on here that have one. Good luck--it's a big decision but I'm glad I got mine.

I say the same as jan I've had mine since May and it as been easy and gettin projects done still need more practice but imperfect done is better than UFO.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 AM

I really suggest trying it at a dealer. I tried some machines at a few small quilt shows and found I did not like the feel of moving the fabric instead of the needle. FMQ comes much more naturally to me on a long arm (just based on limited time trying a long arm and multiple times FMQing on a domestic and a few attempts on the mid arm or sit down models. It is just how my brain seems to work. I wanted so badly to FMQ on my domestic but still can't get the rhythm. I am saving up for a long arm...
Old 11-24-2013, 05:19 AM

I was torn between the S16 and the Tin Lizzie sit down. I was ready to buy the HQ but ended up with the Lizzie in the end because I really just liked the way the machine was orientated. I haven't regretted my purchase at all.

Having said that the HQ sewed beautifully and there's a lot of room. It's 2" shorter than my machine but I'm sure it would be the same more or less. I've free motioned 2 king sized quilts since getting it. It's awesome. The extra space makes quilting so much more relaxing.

You'll want to get tables to go along side the table that HQ gives you. My Lizzie came with an extension table off the back. For the HQ you need the extension table to the left of you so it will hold the quilt. HQ sells a small extension table but it was big bucks in my opinion. I have a skinny folding table to my left to support the quilt and it works great.

If you can, try as many sit downs as possible. If you have a big quilt show coming up, it's worth the wait to try out as many machines in one day as possible... Oh - and this spring Juki is releasing their sit down long arm. I have to say that after using their stand up, I would have probably bought the Juki sit down instead of my Lizzie. I love my Lizzie but I'm a Juki girl Yes, I've considered selling the Lizzie to get the Juki but I don't want to take a huge money loss so I'll stick with what I got for now at least
Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 AM

The only problem I see with a sit down is you have to move the quilt not the machine. Much prefer moving the machine for quilting.