Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
t-shirt fabric backing >

t-shirt fabric backing

t-shirt fabric backing

Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 PM
tmw

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
be very careful when ironing, as some t-shirt graphics are heat sentitive, and will melt or transfer. Recomend either a teflon pressing sheet or at least freezer paper.... and always iron on back only
yes, i've had some pucker in the dryer.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:05 AM

I just made a t- shirt quilt and I used the cheap iron on interfacing from Joanns. It was Joanns brand for 99 cents a yd, it was easy to work with and no problems.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 AM

I have always used pellon 609F. It is the light weight fusiable. I also use a large press at 10 seconds and a pressing sheet.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:43 AM

I have made two tshirt quilts and used Pellon 911FF (seems to be the lightest I can find around here) on the backs of the tshirts. I cut the fronts and backs apart equally leaving each as large as possible. I then cut the Pellon larger then the blocks I want (but not quite as wide a the tshirt). Smooth the tshirt face down on the ironing surface and center the Pellon on top (fusible side down!! lol). Then I dampen a larger plain tshirt backing wringing out as much as possible and lay it on top to fully cover the Pellon. Press with a dry iron on cotton setting 10 seconds in each spot starting at one corner and overlapping. By making them oversize, you can then center the design better when you cut with the design up and it also protects your ironing surface from the fusible. Both turned out great and the recipients loved them.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:38 PM
tmw

[QUOTE=laurlync;5534498]I have made two tshirt quilts and used Pellon 911FF (seems to be the lightest I can find around here) on the backs of the tshirts. I cut the fronts and backs apart equally leaving each as large as possible. I then cut the Pellon larger then the blocks I want (but not quite as wide a the tshirt). Smooth the tshirt face down on the ironing surface and center the Pellon on top (fusible side down!! lol). Then I dampen a larger plain tshirt backing wringing out as much as possible and lay it on top to fully cover the Pellon. Press with a dry iron on cotton setting 10 seconds in each spot starting at one corner and overlapping. By making them oversize, you can then center the design better when you cut with the design up and it also protects your ironing surface from the fusible. Both turned out great and the recipients loved them.[/QUOTE so if the instructions on the interfacing says to use steam, you would use a damp cloth instead, and i wondered how i would get to the front to cut out the part i need, and you just cut the side seam open,!! i'm getting good ideas from you all, thank-you.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by linbails View Post
I just made a t- shirt quilt and I used the cheap iron on interfacing from Joanns. It was Joanns brand for 99 cents a yd, it was easy to work with and no problems.
I asked the quilt instructor the same question at our JoAnns---------and she said she always uses the 99 cents one!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

I use the thinnest fusible I can find, that's not stretchy.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM

I've done 4 t-shirt quilts so far and really like using the featherweight fusible pellon. Now that I have a longarm machine, it makes it much easier to machine quilt these large pieces.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 AM

I am one of the few on this board that do not use fusible interfacing at all when making T-shirt quilts. I only use fusible interfacing when the T-shirt fabric itself is very thin or when the shirt is mesh (athletic jerseys). I create T-shirts quilts where the blocks are different sizes depending on the design on the T-shirt itself. The blocks are all in increments of 4 inches (plus seam allowance) - from 4 in. x 4 in. up to 16 in. x 16 in. Some blocks are rectangles - ie. 4 x 8, 12 x 8, etc. Since I know they are all in these increments I know that they should fit together (a 4 in. square block sewed to an 8 in square block will sew to a 12 in square block. Therefore if there is any stretch (usually minor), I know to just ease it in.