Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T Shirt Quilt Assistance >

T Shirt Quilt Assistance

T Shirt Quilt Assistance

Old 01-04-2023, 04:52 PM

Default T Shirt Quilt Assistance

I've offered to help a new neighbor make a king-sized t- shirt quilt. The block size will be 12 inch finished and the layout will be 6 x 8 blocks.

I have sufficient quilting knowledge to make the quilt - except regarding the stabilizer. Which stabilizer should I buy? And how much should I buy?

Pudge

​​
​​​​
Old 01-04-2023, 10:49 PM

How much you buy would depend on the width of the stabilizer you choose. You're gonna have to do the math on that one - x number of blocks at x by x size, how many blocks can you fit across the width of the stabilizer, etc.

I've never made a t-shirt quilt, but my friend Cindi has made several. She uses Pellon 906F. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:39 AM

I've made a few t-shirt quilts. I've always used 906F. I found this online. It maybe helpful for you (and others) in the future! Happy sewing!!

https://pellonprojects.files.wordpre...eprintable.pdf
Old 01-05-2023, 04:41 AM

I have found it useful to cut fusible interfacing first, then center over t shirt graphic. After fusing, trimming is easy.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:03 PM

I've used Pellon 911ff
Old 01-06-2023, 10:33 AM

Every single block will need to be stabilized so be sure to buy enough. I used up some of the odds and ends of stabilizers I had on hand and bought more. You want to iron it on and go for a fairly mid-light weight product. I used more stabilizer because I iron it onto the area where the block will come from before cutting. This allowed me to keep the cut blocks square at all times.
Old 01-07-2023, 03:30 AM

BTW, remember that those graphics are easily melted. I use a damp dishcloth between iron and interfacing.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:52 AM

I use a non-woven iron on interfacing to stabilize, usually something on sale at Joann Fabrics. I figure about a half a yard per shirt, but I usually just buy the bolt. Then I cut the shirts at the shoulders, armholes to remove the sleeves and then down the sides. I fuse the stabilizer to the wrong side of the tee shirt. I lay a Teflon pressing or applique sheet on the ironing board first and place the front side of the tee shirt on it and the interfacing, glue side down onto the wrong side of the tee shirt and press. Let it cool before lifting the tee shirt off. The Teflon sheet helps prevent the design from coming off the tee shirt. Then and only then, cut the tee shirt into the size block you want it to be. Then you can sew it like any other fabric.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:16 PM

I have made probably 20 t-shirt quilts. I use pellon P44F fusible interfacing which is 17” wide. I usually cut it larger then the square size I want. I add interfacing before I cut to size that keeps your blocks from stretching while you cut.
do be careful and don’t get your iron too hot or you could melt the design and the interfacing. The P44F is inexpensive and since it it lightweight it does not add bulk and adheres with a lower iron temp.

now I usually but a cotton banner between the blocks, that helps stabilize things and eliminates some of the stretch. If you stitch tshirt to tshirt you have more stretch to deal with. I usually quilt around the design as mine are all custom hand guided and just do a tight meander on the open space. I try not to stitch into the shirt paint as you will get skipped stitches and it will dull your needle.

I also use a poly batting as t-shirts can be heavy. And a cotton batting is more weighty. Also you will find that not all designs are on the shirts straight. I usually line up my ruler on the design and cut on an angle if I have to so it will look straight on the quilt.

here is a pic of one of mine.

e4237f7f-e7db-4fcb-b610-6fc51ccdc409.jpeg