Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt quilt nightmares >

T-shirt quilt nightmares

T-shirt quilt nightmares

Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 PM

I forgot to tell you in my earlier post that I used a No 5 needle and poly cotton thread
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Someone please tell me how to "forward" this post to my sister. She and her daughter are in the middle of doing a TShirt quilt for DH, and she says it is monstrous heavy. I know that this is an involved process, but I want to be able to put it into my computer for the long run, and don't know how. Thanks, y'all.
Above the first post on this page, and over to the right ... click on Thread Tools ... then click on Email this Page ... then put in your Sister's name and email addy.

Or just copy and paste the www address for her to go to.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 PM

I feel bad for you. I can't be of any help but I do hope you get finished with this job soon.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM

I made a t-shirt quilt over 20years ago for my son with all his concert t-shirts. I tied it at every corner of the squares with crochet cotton. It is still in together
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 PM

I have made several t-shirt quilts and have used several different quilting styles. It is easy to mark a grid pattern, every 4 or 6 inches and use your walking foot to sew.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:32 AM

I made one for my son out more than a dozen T?ampa Bay Rays shirts. I did outline stitch around each then cose elements of the design in each to outline or underline with stitches. I did all the stitching by hand. I cant find a pic to attach but will keep looking,
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 AM

I have seen many done with yarn tied in the corners and it looked great.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Reading your post gave me shudders! I've made both my kids T-shirt quilts about 10 years ago--before I really started quilting. I just sewed shirt fronts together, they weighed a ton and I ended up just tying at the corners. Flash forward about 10 years and membership in a quilt guild and I've learned (but not done--too many bad memories!) that the way to really do them is to cut the shirt logo only, fuse to Pellon 911 fusible and edge with a cotton fabric and then piece. This allows you to use different size logos, gives it stability, allows you to piece it easier and actually quilt it too. Stippleing on the cotton edging looks really nice and using the edging allows you to draw together the colors in different T's. Like I said--haven't done another one myself,but did learn how from someone that does them professionally! Good luck!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:34 PM

A friend of mine recently brought me a quilt that her sister made for her teenage dd. It was in awful shape. She used wonder-under for each t-shirt and affixed them to a black sheet. I felt so bad knowing it would fall apart after the first washing. She used a cheap poly batting and finished it like a pillowcase. I took it apart and satin stitched around each t-shirt. Then used Warm and Natural batting. Put it on my quilting frame, stippled around each t-shirt and bought a cute red and black fabric for the binding. I thought it came out great, but let me tell you....it was alot of work. I did it mainly to gain more experience on FMQ and it was the first time I used my frame. I FMQ'd it with my Bernina 430 with the BSR. Everyone loved it.
Attached Thumbnails marias-quilt.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Duckydo, I have a queen size t-shirt quilt I have the top all done, and will be putting it on my 10' quilting frame with my Janome 1600 and I want to meander all over it, its a race car theme so the logo's are very large, should I just go right through the logos and or go around them? I read earlier about breaking needles, any suggestions before I do this or should I be just fine?
Thanks