Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: T-shirt quilt nightmares

I just finished a t-shirt quilt for my grandson and his mother is paying someone to LA it because it is really too big and bulky for my machine.
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

Hi Lisa.....I just finished a t/shirt quilt and I was having the same problem....trying to decide what to do about quilting over the shirts.....what I did was Sitich in the ditch around each shirt first and then when the whole quilt was done I did a swirly design thru the boarder and across some of the shirts that didnt have a lot of designs on them I will post a picture to show you what I mean......I used fleece on the back of the quilt I didnt use batting it was heavy enough......good luck Trish

Lisa...here are some pictures to show you what I mean......TrishName:  saraquilt3.png
Views: 175
Size:  277.4 KB

Name:  saraquilt1.png
Views: 175
Size:  406.2 KBanother pic

The first pic shows how I did the swirly design...hope this helps....Trish

Blog Entries
    I forgot to tell you in my earlier post that I used a No 5 needle and poly cotton thread

Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    Someone please tell me how to "forward" this post to my sister. She and her daughter are in the middle of doing a TShirt quilt for DH, and she says it is monstrous heavy. I know that this is an involved process, but I want to be able to put it into my computer for the long run, and don't know how. Thanks, y'all.
    Above the first post on this page, and over to the right ... click on Thread Tools ... then click on Email this Page ... then put in your Sister's name and email addy.

Or just copy and paste the www address for her to go to.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel bad for you. I can't be of any help but I do hope you get finished with this job soon.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I made a t-shirt quilt over 20years ago for my son with all his concert t-shirts. I tied it at every corner of the squares with crochet cotton. It is still in together

I have made several t-shirt quilts and have used several different quilting styles. It is easy to mark a grid pattern, every 4 or 6 inches and use your walking foot to sew.

I made one for my son out more than a dozen T?ampa Bay Rays shirts. I did outline stitch around each then cose elements of the design in each to outline or underline with stitches. I did all the stitching by hand. I cant find a pic to attach but will keep looking,

I have seen many done with yarn tied in the corners and it looked great.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Reading your post gave me shudders! I've made both my kids T-shirt quilts about 10 years ago--before I really started quilting. I just sewed shirt fronts together, they weighed a ton and I ended up just tying at the corners. Flash forward about 10 years and membership in a quilt guild and I've learned (but not done--too many bad memories!) that the way to really do them is to cut the shirt logo only, fuse to Pellon 911 fusible and edge with a cotton fabric and then piece. This allows you to use different size logos, gives it stability, allows you to piece it easier and actually quilt it too. Stippleing on the cotton edging looks really nice and using the edging allows you to draw together the colors in different T's. Like I said--haven't done another one myself,but did learn how from someone that does them professionally! Good luck!

A friend of mine recently brought me a quilt that her sister made for her teenage dd. It was in awful shape. She used wonder-under for each t-shirt and affixed them to a black sheet. I felt so bad knowing it would fall apart after the first washing. She used a cheap poly batting and finished it like a pillowcase. I took it apart and satin stitched around each t-shirt. Then used Warm and Natural batting. Put it on my quilting frame, stippled around each t-shirt and bought a cute red and black fabric for the binding. I thought it came out great, but let me tell you....it was alot of work. I did it mainly to gain more experience on FMQ and it was the first time I used my frame. I FMQ'd it with my Bernina 430 with the BSR. Everyone loved it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Duckydo, I have a queen size t-shirt quilt I have the top all done, and will be putting it on my 10' quilting frame with my Janome 1600 and I want to meander all over it, its a race car theme so the logo's are very large, should I just go right through the logos and or go around them? I read earlier about breaking needles, any suggestions before I do this or should I be just fine?
    Thanks
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Wow...thank you ALL for all your advise!!! I finished the quilt this morning!! YEA!! I did the SID all over and then just stitched around some of the logos or did like a frame around some of them. My friend was thrilled when she picked it up and didn't know how she was going to keep from showing her daughter before Christmas. I don't know if I will tackle another t-shirt one quilt..??? I will post pics soon. At the moment just sitting in PA (just south of Harrisburg)waiting on the storm...we are right in the direct path. Just have some rain and a breezy wind right now. After living in Coastal NC for many years and moving back to PA a few years ago, I thought we left the hurricanes behind. Again thank you all SO MUCH!!

I did a T shirt quilt and when I took a class the instructor told us unless you really know how to free motion quilt do not attempt to quilt it, it is heavier than a normal quilt would be and it is easy to stretch it, send it out to be quilted. I sent it out and it came out beautiful.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.71 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.18 MBThank you for all your responses. Here is a pic of the finished project. Not sure that I will do another.

Oh wow...what a thought and great idea!!! To just do the logos would surely get rid of some of the weight. Sure wish I had heard that one before I did this one....maybe if there is a next one that will definitely be a great method. Thank you all so much!!
    Last edited by lnolan6177; 11-04-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added text.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2