Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt quilt questions >

T-shirt quilt questions

T-shirt quilt questions

Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
And also add that tricot adds a LOT of extra weight and is expensive! Go with the lightweight non stretch stuff like the Pellon 904F or you can go with the generic JoAnnes one. I haven't bought any in ages but the last time I bought a whole bolt of the stuff and it was only .99 per yard. The Pellon is definitely a better product but at the time i was doing so many T-shirt quilts and it works.

Also, unlike many, I cut my stabilizer to size first. I use scraps to stabilize as well, it doesn't have to be one piece (hate waste!). Once I have all my stabilizer ready, i cut out my T-shirt emblem then immediately fuse on the stabilizer. I get a tiny bit of curl from older T's. My method results in absolutely no waste of the stabilizer. You will have to decide for yourself if the savings is worth it. It is definitely easier to fuse a larger piece onto the T first then cut but I have done so many of these, it is 2nd nature to me.

Before i got my LA I tied them with fat bat every 4" on the T. T'shirt quilts are heavy! Much heavier than a traditional quilt top. So I can't imagine trying to manhandle that thing through a DSM. Now I have LA so I have no trouble quilting them.

Here is a picture of a tied one I did:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499313[/ATTACH]

And here is one I LA
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499314[/ATTACH]
Thanks for the photos and all the tips. I have t shirts saved - just haven't tried making the quilt yet. But I will!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by homebody323 View Post
Question for katier825. Why use a stretch stabilizer and have to put it opposite the stretch of the t-shirt when you can use a light weight non stretch backing. I use the 904ff I think that's the # by pellon and the stretch is gone. Many of my customers bring t-shirt quilts with stretch stabilizer that I then have to deal with because they oops and put it on with the stretch of the t-shirt. I've always wondered why they did that or who told them to. I suspect they read it in a book somewhere. Not my favorite way to do it.
Why go with the tricot? No one "told me to"...I had read several tutorials and decided to follow with the one that used the tricot stabilizer. I had debated which to use, but thought that it would be easier to quilt through and result in a softer feel than the non woven fusible. It came out great and I have no regrets. I always quilt my own quilts (minus the one in my avatar that Charisma did for me), so I didn't even consider what someone else would want to work with.

Like anything else in quilting...there is usually more than one way to do something. It doesn't mean it's right or wrong...just different.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 PM

I have used fusible Pellon in some of my t-shirt quilts and fusible tricot in others, and I prefer the tricot. I don't feel it adds any more weight than the fusible Pellon. I also use scraps of the fusible to create the correct size I need, as I, too, don't like to waste!