Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-Shirt Quilt >

T-Shirt Quilt

T-Shirt Quilt

Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
Check the library and quilting sites online for great ideas, tips & tricks as well as layout charts. Your email said you needed pointers AFTER cutting the t-shirt fronts. You may find the blocks are much easier to handle if the blocks are stabilized with a light weight, iron-on interfacing BEFORE cutting the fronts to size.
Hope this helped.

I have made several and adding stabilizer(Iron on) was a time saver and my sanity!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 PM

I have done 2 t-shirt quilts. The logos were all different sizes so I couldn't make them all one size. Here is a video I watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6vlC-qr4Q. She shows how to cut, press, and stitch. I have a friend with a pressing iron she lets me use and it sure saves time in pressing the stabilizer to the backs. I didn't find them hard -- just time consuming.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:41 AM

I have 4 grand-daughters, therefore I have made 4 t-shirt quilts. I ironed my stabilizer onto the t-shirt before I cut the t-shirt out. I used my 12 1/2" square template as a "pattern" I used sashing between the t-shirts. I did not enjoy making any of them but they were a labor of love to my 4 girls. I hand quilted around most of the logo's on the t-shirts, it wasn't easy, sometimes I quilted a circle or quilted an X. I don't want to discourage you but there isn't anyone who could pay me enough to do another one. GOOD LUCK, let us know how you make out, maybe post a picture.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:28 PM

I have done a few t-shirt quilts, I have used two different ways n in either I have not used stabilizer.. maybe I am cheap and don't want to buy it.. First ones I did I used the Jean Circle Quilt method. Cutting old jeans to circles n the area I wanted to use on the t-shirt. Second method I used was t-shirt n flannel n did the t-shirt rag quilt. Both methods I feel are heavy n don't need stabilizer. Both methods were easy for me. Each person I made then for were very please. I did get both methods threw YouTube. Wish I had pictures to show but I lost all my pictures.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 AM

My friend had made a t-shirt quilt top and took it to a longarmer to have it quilted. She wanted Minky on the back, and all was ready to go. Longarmer took one look and sent her home with it, would not touch it BECAUSE she did not stabilize it! She said it will stretch out and bag and pucker, and she won't do it. Now my friend is cutting the stabilizer as accurately as possible to iron to the back of the top after the whole thing is already assembled. I applaud those that have had good luck with out the iron on backing, and I do believe a rag quilt or jean quilt would not require it, but the majority should do better with it. JMHO
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 PM

To echo many others in this thread, the very first thing to do, before any sewing, is get a good stabilizer on the back of the tee shirt. I've seen Pellon brand recommended, but i find it doesn't seem to adhere well in Houston humidity, so I've switched to June Tailor brand.

Be careful ironing or sewing on the front of tees. Large rubberized designs can melt onto your iron or snag your presser foot. Iron or or sew around those, never through.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:52 AM

Our youngest granddaughter helped me get the t-shirts ready. Have the stabilizer bought, but so many other things have cropped up to get the 2 put together. She lives out of town and doesn't get here very often. She wants to help with that stage so I will have everything ready for us to work.
Thanks for all of the help for everyone!
Mariah