Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-Shirt Quilt >

T-Shirt Quilt

T-Shirt Quilt

Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Default T-Shirt Quilt

Has anyone made a T-Shirt Quilt? Our daughter wants me to help her make one with T-Shirts her Step-Son got and wore from his racing car days.
If anyone can give me some pointers on how to start out, after cutting the t-shirts' fronts, that would be great.

Thanks!
Mariah

Last edited by patricej; 08-08-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:39 AM

Search for T-shirt quilt pattern, there are a lot of them out there.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:14 AM

Check the library and quilting sites online for great ideas, tips & tricks as well as layout charts. Your email said you needed pointers AFTER cutting the t-shirt fronts. You may find the blocks are much easier to handle if the blocks are stabilized with a light weight, iron-on interfacing BEFORE cutting the fronts to size.
Hope this helped.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:38 AM

I made 2 tops, I used a 12.5" x 12.5" cutting boards as a pattern. I added stabilizer after cutting. Use a pressing cloth, that stuff gets on your iron and it's a pain. I found as I was working with the squares, I often needed to go back and re-iron it back on. And I was using a name brand stabilizer too.

I made them with no sashing at the customer's request. I had him take them to the local longarmer to get finished. Was I glad to get rid of them!! Never again.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I have made several. I did cut out my T before putting the stabilizer on but that is because I am cheap and didn't want to waste it. I do agree the T's behave better if you stabilize first then cut but many have cut first and stabilized after.
I cut 12 1/2" blocks from my T's and cut the stabilizer the same size and also used scraps of stabilizer. I think T-shirt quilts are easy but I may be in the minority. Before I got my longarm I would tie them but now I quilt them on the LA with no issues.

There are many ways to set them. Here are two that I have posted before:
This one is longarmed
Double sided T-Shirt quilt

This one is tied. I have made several of this style:
Harley T-shirt quilt

Edited to add, unlike PTquilts, I have never had an issue with my stabilizer having to be re-ironed but I do know if the T's have been washed with fabric softner or a dryer sheet that can impair the adhering of the fusible stabilizer. I have used both JoAnn store brand of fusible interface the lightest weight they had and Pellon name brand. I do like the Pellon better but the JoAnn stuff worked fine too.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 08-08-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 AM

I have made 2, one for a grandson and one for a granddaughter. I am now working on another one for our third grandchild. I have cut off the sleeves, cut the shoulder seams off, and cut the sides open. I have measured the logos and decided what size I need to cut the blocks. I am ready to iron light weight Pellon to the wrong sides of the shirts. I am making all blocks the same size, and will add a grey sashing then a black strip of fabric to the right and bottom sides to make a shadow box effect before measuring and cutting my background fabric.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:18 PM

I cut the tee shirts at the shoulders and then down the side and cut out the sleeves. Then use a fusible interfacing bigger than the size block you want and iron it on the back side. Then and only then....cut the tee shirts in the size you want them. You can add sashing between the blocks or add some pieced blocks like flying geese to 4 patches, what ever you want. I make a tee shirt quilt for each grandchild when they graduate high school. They help pick the fabrics and colors and placement of the blocks. They really enjoy the whole process. It is something they will always have and something they helped design.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM

I’ve made one tee shirt quilt, I used both the front and back of the shirts. I cut around the neck, down the sides and cut out the sleeves, now with two pieces I stabilized each. I planned 16” blocks cut out the design then added colors from other shirt backs to form a block. For the border I did a solid cotton 2” then pieced6”x 2 1/2 strips together from the tee shirts for the next border then finished with a 4 “ solid.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:30 PM

Don't forget to put stabilizer on the back of T-shirt block , get a iron on and leave it on.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:11 PM

I have made several... be sure to use the iron on stabilizer. That helps alot. I am actually working on one now

I would suggest to google tshirt quilts and look at pictures.. you will find lots of ideas.

post pictures! I love seeing all of the different quilts