Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Shirt Quilt

JAK

T-Shirt Quilt

I have been asked to make a quilt from a little boy's collection of T-shirts. I have read on several sites that it is best to back the piece of shirt with an interfacing/stabilizer of some sort. Curious to know the best kind to use from some recommendations from those that have made one.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I use a lightweight fusible stabilizer, got at Joanns.

I used a brand name iron on stabilizer and was not happy with it. It kept coming off and I would have to re-iron, until I got the pieces sewn together. Good luck, try a few different ones. I will never make another T-shirt quilt!!

I also use a very lightweight fusible. I have used Joanns store brand and Pellon featherweight fusible. It does add some weight to the quilt. I have never tried it but I have heard people have successfully made T-shirt quilts without interfacing and just starching the heck out of the Tshirts. I've made at least 7 or 8 over the years and always used fusible interfacing.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I used a brand name iron on stabilizer and was not happy with it. It kept coming off and I would have to re-iron, until I got the pieces sewn together. Good luck, try a few different ones. I will never make another T-shirt quilt!!
    Washing t-shirts with a fabric softener or drying with a dryer sheet impedes the fusible from properly fusing.

This is what I am using now and I am pretty happy with it. Bought it off Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

French Fuse is made to back T shirts. It's a tricot interfacing, so it has a little give to it, like the T shirts, but it firms them up well without making them stiff.

This is where I buy my tricot interfacing for T shirt quilts. It's the best price I have found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Yds-New-W...8AAOxyTjNScYZ6
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sue

Pellon Feather weight, 911.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've made a ton of these--I prefer Pellon ShapeFlex--it's a woven, fusible--much like you find in fine tailored menswear. I buy it by 54" roll from a LQS and I like the handiness of that over the 24" width--but harder to find. If I'm having to use those poly woven shirts that have "holes" in them, I prefer the Pellon FW 911 (non-woven) as it backs those holes. Like Feline said, fabric softener makes it harder to fuse and shirts with poly in them are more difficult too as you need a lower heat on the shirts. I've found that if I use a moist pressing cloth on poly shirts it really helps fuse.

I totally agree with quiltingshorttimer about using a moist pressing cloth with fusible interfacing.

I've ben prepping some t-shirts to make my first t-shirt quilt, and after scouring this board, I went with Pellon 911. I had oodles of trouble getting the I/F to stick properly until I started using a wet press cloth. I think the steam gets between all the little fibers of the I/F and makes it adhere really well. It does feel a little stiff, but I think that it will soften up in the wash, like it usually does when I use it in clothing.

Also, I found it better to fuse a piece a little bigger that my intended block size, and then trimming it down made it much easier to work with.

Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    I spent a day going over youtube videos to find something to recommend to customers wanting to make T-shirts quilts. WOW, there are so many with wrong and scary info!!! But, there is one by Eleanor Burns (the queen) in the Quilt in a Day videos that explains things very clearly. She also shows how to use different types (sleeve logos, pocket logos) and has good info on stabilizing, cutting and assembly. I think the most important thing is to look at it in bits - deciding which shirts - done, stabilizing and cutting - done, layout - done, eyc. This way it doesn't feel that overwhelming. Another tip if you do not have a design wall, lay out a sheet and organize your blocks on it. When done for the day, you can roll up the sheet and keep your layout plan - you will never just remember it the next day!

I use butcher paper, it's fast, cheap and you can peel it off when the top is done and it doesn't add to the weight of the quilt

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    French Fuse is made to back T shirts. It's a tricot interfacing, so it has a little give to it, like the T shirts, but it firms them up well without making them stiff.

This is where I buy my tricot interfacing for T shirt quilts. It's the best price I have found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Yds-New-W...8AAOxyTjNScYZ6
    checked here and shipping/handling is 18.00. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    I spent a day going over youtube videos to find something to recommend to customers wanting to make T-shirts quilts. WOW, there are so many with wrong and scary info!!! But, there is one by Eleanor Burns (the queen) in the Quilt in a Day videos that explains things very clearly. She also shows how to use different types (sleeve logos, pocket logos) and has good info on stabilizing, cutting and assembly. I think the most important thing is to look at it in bits - deciding which shirts - done, stabilizing and cutting - done, layout - done, eyc. This way it doesn't feel that overwhelming. Another tip if you do not have a design wall, lay out a sheet and organize your blocks on it. When done for the day, you can roll up the sheet and keep your layout plan - you will never just remember it the next day!
    I lost my husband of 48 years. a couple of months ago and want to turn his t-shirts into a quilt. Could you please post a link to this particular site? I won't go into the grieving except to say that it is so hard and I want to honor his memory. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    This is what I am using now and I am pretty happy with it. Bought it off Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This is what I was sold. Horrible! You do not want to use Heat 'n' Bond. You want something that only adheres to one side. I went to a different store and got Pellon Shape-Flex. That works much better. So light and soft.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I buy my fusible when it goes on sale at JoAnn's--the cheapest and thinnest they have. It is about (or was when I last bought it) $.50 a yard. It also helps if you have access to a large iron press and worth buying if you are going to be doing many. Here is a link to one https://www.amazon.com/PowerPress-HP...50011_3?_encod . I have it works.

Blog Entries
    I have made 10 tee shirt quilts this year, I used the 911 until a quilting friend suggested 906W my option the best.

Blog Entries
    Whatever you decide to use, be careful wen you apply it. Tee Shirts stretch one way more than the other. The fusible also stretches one way more than the other. Put the stretches so they are opposite each other, stabilizing the stretch. If the stabilizer and tee shirt stretch the same way, you essentially have not stabilized it. I hope this makes sense.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Tshirt quilt

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
    I use a lightweight fusible stabilizer, got at Joanns.
    I dont use any stabilizer unless the shirt is quite thin. I like the quilts Ive made without fusing as they are softer and cushy. If the shirt is thin or the material
    is meshy I use a Pelion 503 interfacing.
    Learn to Travel, Travel to Learn

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
    I buy my fusible when it goes on sale at JoAnn's--the cheapest and thinnest they have. It is about (or was when I last bought it) $.50 a yard. It also helps if you have access to a large iron press and worth buying if you are going to be doing many. Here is a link to one https://www.amazon.com/PowerPress-HP...50011_3?_encod . I have it works.
    I meant to say I hope it works instead of I have it works. I see the link did work.

I am making my second t shirt quilt now. I decided to serge the interfacing to the t shirt front. I started working on this a year ago and had to move everything out of my sewing room to re carpet the floor. I needed the extra stability as it was moved around more than I would want. As I place each block on the design wall, I will cut to size & reserge. Now to decide sashing or no sashing....
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Pellon Feather weight 911 is what I have used on the 5 T Shirt quilts I have made. Easy to use and no problem quilting the sandwich.

Have made 5 with French Fuse it is 60" wide so cut is very favorably I get it from Backside fabrics it is excellent does not add any weight it is a tricot

There are also books that specialize on how to best put t shirt quilts together that discuss stabilizers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast